1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WinXP starts, says Choose User, and then shuts down!

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by syc0path, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. syc0path

syc0path Thread Starter

**I posted this last week, but I haven't gotten any replies. So I was gonna bump it, but I couldn't find the original post:confused: But I did find a post I put up like a yr ago. Did a mod remove this post for some reason?

My brother has a Toshiba laptop w/ a 2.8GHz P4 and 1GB RAM running WinXP. His is the only user account on the computer, so usually Windows boots all the way thru at startup w/o having to select a user account.

But he called me last night and said that now it asks him to select a user account, even though his is the only 1 listed. When he selects it, it says something like "saving changes to your personal settings" and shuts down the computer.

I had him try logging into Safe Mode, and the account screen came up w/ his account and an admin account. I told him to try the admin account, but the same thing happened. So I don't know what else to do considering I can't even get the comp started to begin the normal virus-killing procedure. Is there a way to boot into DOS mode, and if so, is there a virus scanner that works in DOS?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757026

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice