1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WinXP: System Restore loses restore points?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jtiller, Nov 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jtiller

jtiller Thread Starter

Hi, All, :)

In my Win XP Pro SP1 installation, my System Restore has a very erratic "memory." It usually only remembers restore points from a few days back, and often times forgets all of my restore points. Even though I regularly create manual restore points (install apps, etc.), they never seem to be available more than a day or so after I create them.

My settings look like this:

Turn off System Restore on all drives: NOT checked

1. My C: drive: Monitoring
      Max disk space: 3.6GB (12%)
    2. My D: drive: Monitoring
    etc.

I've also examined the registry (HKLM\Soft\M$\WinNT\CV\SysRest, blah blah) and the keys look good (at default values). Any idea why my System Restore is so brain dead?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

---Jason

2. Jag11

Jag11

Maybe you've accidentaly turned off System Restore before, and turning off System Restore will delete all the restore points made.

Also, double check the Disk space to use in System Restore, Right Click My Computer > System Restore.

It depends on you on what size you'll going to give System Restore, just don't set it to 0 because you can't make a Restore point once you do that. If you're making alot of Restore points, you must give it a lot of room on your hard drive.

3. Bert Kinney

Bert Kinney

Hi,

There are several reasons this may occur. Let's take a look at Event Viewer for any System Restore logs that may have been created recently that may help us diagnosing the problem.

Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
    Click on System in the left pane.
    Click the gray title “Source” at the top of the source name column in the right pane to sort by source name, look for "sr" and "srservice".
    Double click on each of these events, then click on the button below the two arrows in the upper right corner. This will copy the event information to the clipboard. Paste the information for each of the two event here. There’s no need to post duplicate Event ID’s.

How do I use the Event Viewer to search for System Restore logs?
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#EventViewer

Here are some more links for troubleshooting System Restore.

System Restore Failures to restore:
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html

System Restore fails to create an automatic restore point:
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srauto.html

4. jtiller

jtiller Thread Starter

Yo, Jag, :)

Thanks for the reply, dude.

Hmm. I don't think I've turned off System Restore in a long time.

Good point. However, for the drives on which I've enabled System Restore, I allow the maximum (12%) to be used for Restore Points.

Thanks for the ideas, dude. Any others?

---Jason

5. Covenant

Covenant

This states that if "any" monitored partition doesn't have 50MB free system restore may suspend.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

If no free disk space on monitored system drive or on any of the available non-system drives exists, System Restore will purge restore points consistently across all monitored partitions to free disk space. If the free disk space falls below 50 MB on any monitored partition, System Restore will stop monitoring and suspend.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Here's another tidbit...

Note: Some users have reported that using the Real Player One utility has deleted restore points. Please review your System Event Viewer log for System Restore events for a volume error event. For more information, please visit the Microsoft.Public.WindowsXP.perform_maintain and Microsoft.Public.WindowsXP.help_and_support.
    This one is a little confusing as I don't see how deleting a .dll should cause system restore to stop working. You can obtain a whole list of the file types monitored on Microsoft's site.

A copy, delete, modify operation was made to a file monitored by System Restore. This typically causes System Restore to suspend across the system

So those are a few interesting reasons as to why you might lose restore points. Especially the one concerning Real Player.

6. jtiller

jtiller Thread Starter

Yo, Bert, :)

Excellent suggestion! All of the 'srservice' events are purely informational (I turned off monitoring for blah blah, system restored successfully, etc.). Here are the unique 'sr' errors:

================================
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: sr
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1
    Date: 10/11/2005
    Time: 11:29:42 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: OUR-HOME
    Description:
    The System Restore filter encountered the unexpected error '0xC0000023' while processing the file 'MSI85ade.tmp' on the volume 'Ramdisk'. It has stopped monitoring the volume.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: 0e 00 00 00 04 00 4e 00 ......N.
    0008: 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 c0 .......À
    0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

================================
    Actually, this appears to be the only useful error - all the rest of them are duplicates. My B: drive was a RAM disk, provided by a small driver named "QSoft RAM Disk". I have since removed the RAM disk driver - I didn't see the need. 11/6/05 was the last day that this error was generated.

Interestingly, the last restore point I have is from 11/6/05. I wonder if SR was not just throwing an error for the B: drive but dying completely and... er... blowing away all of the older RPs? I dunno.

For now, though, I do have RPs going back to 11/6. Let's see how long they last!

Thanks again, Bert, :)

---Jason

P.S. - Any way to tell how much of the SR space has been used (and how much is left?).

7. jtiller

jtiller Thread Starter

Yo, Covenant, :)

Thanks, dude. Some interesting points here...

Not a problem for me. Free:
    C: 27GB
    D: 43GB
    E: 150GB

(These are the only drives I monitor. Of my other two drives, F: is for temporary files during video editing and M: is a removable for backups.)

Actually, I don't have Real Player installed. I have "Real Alternative 1.43" installed, instead. Real is a hog...

I agree, this doesn't make sense. I mean, isn't it SR's job to monitor these files and keep copies of them when they're modified??

Well, thanks for the ideas. I'm personally betting that it was related to SR biffing when it tried to access my (now removed) RAM disk. We'll see...

---Jason

8. Covenant

Covenant

I think you're definitely on the right track there. It seems a little too coincidental to be chance. Hope it keeps working.

9. Bert Kinney

Bert Kinney

Hi Jtiller,

Good move on dumping the ram disk. I would suggest not letting SR monitor any drives/partitions other than the one Windows is installed on.

Keep an eye on SR for a couple of days to make sure restore points are being created automatically each day.

You will also want to test SR to confirm it is functioning.

Create a new restore point named TEST.
    Create a new folder in the desktop an name it TEST.
    Now restore to the Test restore point.
    You will receive a message if the restore was successful.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/413731

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice