1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WinXP too many processes!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Kirch, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kirch

Kirch Thread Starter

We bought a laptop loaded from the co. with I guess boatloads of programs? When we look at what is running, it's like 45 processes, is that normal? With only 256k/ram the thing barely runs, shuts down all the time, etc. Usually only 2-3 programs are running, whatever we're into at the time, are processes programs?

Is it normal to be running all these?

Should we consider clearing the hd and starting over?

Thanks!

~Kirch

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Since you have no idea what you really have, I'd seriously consider doing the factory restore and starting over. :)

3. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

Sorry, Im not from that side of the 'pond'
    What is the co. ??
    loaded?

4. Duckman69

Duckman69

yea i'd say just restore the system if you have a reinstall cd you never know if theres keyloggers in there to get your information, probally tons of spyware & adware & with 256 ram, well my sister had 256k ram & like 25 programs auto load @ start & lots of background runnin stuff & spy / adware and it wasnt pritty ... you might even have remote access or monitoring programs on there you should defenetly format if you can otherwise if you dont have a cd post back here & let us know & ill give you some programs to help you on a start to clearing up that mess...
    P.S. never good to buy a computer thats used & preloaded like that espically if you dont have a windows cd to reformat ... anyways good luck
    ~later

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If your computer is actually powering off, the problem isn't a lack of RAM. It's probably a heat build-up problem.

6. Duckman69

Duckman69

yea sorry i didnt see his question for what it was completly, yes if shutting down all the time is happening, feel your laptop, pull out the battery & touch it try to see if any part is really hot, if so its probally the cooling unit for the laptop, could also be a barrery issue, laptop batteries suck alot of the time, i hada laptop that i had to replace the battery on a few years back because it only lasted a short while... hope this helped...

7. Kirch

Kirch Thread Starter

Okay, would like to copy files I need to cd's and start over like we had a new hd. What's the proceedure, only thing is, right now I don't see an xp cd that came with it... so I have to keep the os. The overheat seems to occur while running under a load, if we got rid of all these numerous processes thought it might help?

8. Duckman69

Duckman69

if thats what your going for download regseeker (helps you remove files that auto start up & registry entries ... start by clearing that list out as much as you careful with the registry entries tho, then your gonna want to goto the add / remove list and surf threw that delete anything you dont want... you should run the windows disk defrag (or download ultimate defrag - freeware) defrag the computer then i would get an anti virus like the trend micro trial gets alot of stuff ... make sure theres no virus's on the computer that are helping slow you down or will cause you issues later on... then i'd say get something like avg anti spyware aimed for spy & adware specfically will get alot that trend micro may have missed these are all really what you should do since you really have no idea whats on the computer... well then if you want to delete all those programs as well and defrag again... you might also want to cehck out eraser a freeware utility that premently deletes files leaving less of a trace behind and since you dont have a windows cd over time just using reclying bin may start to cause alot of clustered space a& slow you down that way... i use eraser for everything i delete, well i hope i helped some :D
    ~later

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!