WinXP: used copy?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

fixabit

Well, I've googled this forum and the web and groups, and I can't seem to find a winning combination of words to find the answer I need - are there any problems involved with purchasing a used copy of WinXP? Anything I should look out for? I recently had someone offer a copy to me for $40, which is great, but I don't know them, so I want to make sure there's no way to get ripped off.

If it's some random person it's probably not legit. And Windows Updates won't work with bootleg copies. Best thing to do is buy from a shop.

Sounds like its just a bootleg, but these are the conditions its allowed under.

The initial user of the Software may make a one-time permanent transfer of this EULA and Software to another end user, provided the initial user retains no copies of the Software. This transfer must include all of the Software (including all component parts, the media and printed materials, any upgrades, this EULA, and, if applicable, the Certificate of Authenticity). The transfer may not be an indirect transfer, such as a consignment. Prior to the transfer, the end user receiving the Software must agree to all the EULA terms.

To add to the above, its also not legit to sell an OEM copy of XP unless its also accompanied by the hardware with which it was originally purchased.

fixabit

I don't believe it's a bootleg - sounds like he's getting rid of all his computer gear and just needs the cash. I intended on making sure it was an actual WinXP disk (I already have one copy, so I know what it looks like) with all the accompanying materials - I just wasn't sure whether A) it would activate okay - someone a long time ago mentioned that WinXP had a way of checking to make sure it hadn't already been activated on another computer, and I wasn't sure how that worked, and B) whether it's possible, in any way, to add a virus or anything nasty to a commercially made disk.

Unlikely to have a virus on a commercial disk, in any way shape or form. They are pressed media, they can't have anything else written to them, they are not burnable media.

Just be careful to make sure its not an OEM copy, or that it has not been activated in the last 4 months if a full copy. Either way it could refuse activation now, but there is no way you can test for that until you try activating it after loading it.

If its OEM the CD will have "only for sale with a new PC" or similar words on it. You *may* (or not) have trouble activating that, as its not meant to be separated from the original PC, it should go with it or die with it. MS licence conditions.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online