1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WinXP vs Win98 - for 866 MHZ PC

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Gemo, Aug 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gemo

Gemo Thread Starter

I have a P3, 866 MHZ with 256 MB RAM running Win 98 that I use for my cottage. Mostly the PC is used for email, Internet access, some MS office applns etc and usually works pretty good (although Win98 hangs occassionally).

My question is would I be any better off replacing Win98 with WinXP - in other words recognizing this is an older machine would there be any performance benefit running WinXP (a newer op system)?

XP is obviously a more robust, reliable, secure o/s with addl functionality but on this particular 866 MHZ PC would user performace get worse, stay the same or get better...?

If the user performance would be essentially the same or better it would make sense to spend the money and upgrade to XP (and take advantage of XP's better functionality) but if performance is degraded it may be just as well to keep using Win98 on this older beast.

- and would it be better to do a complete new install of XP (a fair amount of work reinsalling all my applns...) or just doing an upgrade to Win98?

Appreciate any good advice.

2. Goku

Goku

If you take my view, then XP is surely to be preferred over Windows 98. I myself run XP and am completely content with it's features, compatibility, performance, looks, etc. You are finding it difficult to decide whether to run XP or Windows 98, right? Just compare your System Specifications and mine and then again have a look at your problem. See if you have the same difficulty in deciding like you had before. :)

Good Luck.(y)

3. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

the pc i'm on is a p2/450/256m is older and xp had all drivers for sound, video and internet/ethernet-nic cards and is a backup to a 1.7/p4/512m that runs the same apps, just a little faster.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!