1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WinXP & Win98

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by DJ [email protected], Mar 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DJ P@CkMaN

DJ [email protected] Thread Starter

hey,
    i reformatted no the weekend and put win98 on. i installed win98 to C:\Win98, then i put XP on to C:\WINDOWS with the hope of being able to boot into either OS if necessary. i cant do that. when i go to the operating system menu, ony WinXP is there. my winXP installation was a "New Installation"

i have never done this b4, did i do something wrong or is there anyway i can fix this??

thanks

2. buck52

buck52 Banned

Howdy

I believe you need to create a second primary partition for XP...
    Install 98 first on your C: then if you boot to the XP boot disk I thought it pretty much walks you through it.

Do a search using dual boot should give you plenty of info

buck

3. brianF

brianF

buck52 is correct, you can't install the two os's on the same partition, either fdisk and create two partitions(note: this will erase everything on the drive)or install another hard drive and install the second os (xp) on that

4. cheapshot

cheapshot

If you are going to use both operating systems (Win98 and XP), make sure the XP partition is fat32 and not NTFS. If you format the XP partition to NTFS your win98 install will not be able to use the space on the XP partition. Just a heads up if you plan to do this.

5. Dan O

Dan O

cheapshot is correct but I recommend you make a third partition for data using FAT32 to share. Then you can use NTFS for XP.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!