1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

winXP won't boot anymore

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by violin, Dec 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. violin

violin Thread Starter

Hi. Although I jumped in on this thread I felt afterwards that it maybe better to start a new thread with this issue.

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/966631-disk-read-error-occurred-after.html

From about 3 wks ago when swiching on my laptop I find now that I am unable to get past f10. While on the f10 options I have tried the HDD Self-tests both short (2mins) and the long ones(37mins) and they both passed, not to sure in what that means. My laptop is a HP compaq nx9105, running winXP Pro. At the moment I have no clue in what is going on but really feel that the issue could point to a failing harddrive, although both "Self-tests" passed. If anyone has more knowledge of this particular issue more than me I would appreciate that very much, before spending out on a new hard-drive, i.e a particular CD, recovery, boot, diagnostic or other that may help.

At two stages after switching back on I did manage to get past the "a disk error has occured" and got to the "Checking file system on C: The type of file system is NTFS" to in the middle of checking or so "an unspecified error has occured", if that is a clue to anything. Also after switch-on I find that I can sometimes get the "start windows normally" DOS pop-up and then the windows XP logo, but continually loops between the two, if that helps. Thanks for your time and best regards

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/967023