WinXP won't boot, stop: 0x0000007B (0xF7C46640, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

thisguy

OK, I am new to this forum. It seems like you guys know what you are talking about so I will ask you for help. I am fairly computer saavy, but by no means an expert. I have a Dell Demension 8200 running Windows XP Professional. I have an 80gb HD that is almost full, a pentium 4 running at 2gh, and 1gb of RAM. I was recently trying to clean house and free up some space on my hard drive. After I did that and deleted several programs that I haven't used in forever I tried to elimintate some of the running processes. I have a few beefy programs on my computer like Autocad 2004 and 3D Studio Max 6 which I think may be responsible for some of the extra processes. I went into administrative tools and changes a few things, but I dont really remember what. I also have a few style programs, mainly styleXP. I added a bunch of different themes, boot screens, and logon screens to give my PC a better look. Heres where I think the problem happened...

I have this boot randomization program that I downloaded a few years ago. When I used it then it worked fine, but I had uninstalled it and updated my computer several times since then. I think it was the last thing I installed before my computer decided it hates me.

The next time I started my computer I got a message during startup that said something like ..."could not start windows, "C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\ntfs.sys" is missing or corrupt. I followed microsofts procedure through the repair console using their scripts to replace the file, but to no avail. So I went to install windows, and then went to the repair windows option using the WinXP Pro installation disk. Now when I start the computer it goes through everything and right before the boot screen comes up I get the blue screen of death with a stop message. That message is:

stop: 0x0000007B (0xF7C46640, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I ran CHKDSK /p /r but it says there are no problems. I got a program ntfs something that let me onto the HD to view the files on my comp and everything seems to be there. I think it is the boot screen randomizer because I had to change the "ntoskrl.dll" (<- think thats right) file for the program to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really can't afford to lose everything on my HD. I guess the irony is that I was saying to myself "I better back everything up as soon as I get this running smoothly." Sorry to write a novel for a post but I just wanted to get everything pertinent down. Thanks

You are correct in your assessment. One of those memory addresses points to a booting issue - most likely corruption, absence or damage to Boot.ini. Truthfully, if it were my computer and I saw that, I would raise the white flag as soon as I saw that memory address. I would slave up the hard drive to another machine, backup my files, and run a full OS recovery. The time investment required to repair an issue like that without restoring is just too mind-boggling to be worthwhile. But then again, I only speak from anectodal experience. There may be someone here who disagrees.

Hi thisguy,

Here are a list of XP error codes:

http://labmice.techtarget.com/windowsxp/TroubleshootingXP/error.htm

The one you mentioned is in the list & you would have to look up the M$ page on that error to find out what it is.

As far as free disk space, the more you can free the better. I suspect you are being left with a lot of junk files & fragmentation. I would therefore suggest you consider downloading these freeware programs, if you don't have them.

http://cleanup.stevengould.org/ CleanUp! is a disk cleaner. The options are set to "Default" & if you wish to view them, click on options before running the program. Anything you don't want cleaned, uncheck the box.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1207 DisKeeper Lite is a defragger.

Hope this helps some.

Regards,

Hawk

I'm not exactly sure but that errorcode looks like the one I got on my Acer which means Inaccessible Boot Device. Check your CD drive and Hard drive are connected correctly

thisguy

OK, thanks for the help guys. I think I'm getting there, slowly but surely. I went to maxtor and downloaded the diagnostic and utilities programs they offer for my HD. It is a diamondmax 6L80J or something, 80gb diamond max anyway. THe diagnostic utility said my HD was A OK on like the 3 basic tests. I am doing the in depth scan now which takes like 15 hours. So I should know definitively whether or not there is a HD prob after that is done. Im betting there isn't. Like I said, I tried doing the winXP re-install fix thing as well as the repair console thing with no success. I tried putting the old ram sticks that came with the computer in the slots as well as removing the sound card and modem. Still nothing, not surprisingly. The computer I am on right now runs XP hme, is there a way to replace files using this? Or putting them onto a CD? I don't know haow to make my problematic HD a slave, but I want to do that as a last resort.

What does the FIXBOOT command in the repair console do? Would that help me here? What about replacing the registry? It sounds like that might have some negative effects on my system stability. Are there any free virus scans that can boot from CD without having windows running? Anybody have any ideas what files might be missing or corrupt?

thisguy

I did every possible HD test and it is apparently fine. Could it be that when I re-installed portions of WinXP that it was an older version and incompatible with the SP2 portions? Any other Ideas? Replacing the registry?

Without reading the complete thread again, I will just post some ideas that come to mind.

Did you try the following:

Updating at Windows Update?

Run the following programs?

CheckDisk?

Go to Start>>>Run & type chkdsk /f (Note the space between k & /) You will go to Command Prompt. Type Y & hit enter then reboot.

System File Checker?

You will need an Installation CD to run this. Go to Start>>>>Run & type sfc /scannow (Note space between c & /). At some point it will ask for the CD. When you put it in your drive, it will sometimes come on screen so just click on exit & SFC will continue.

Regards,

Hawk

thisguy

my problem is I can't get into windows in the first place, not even in safe mode. I did chkdsk in the repair console and it said everything was fine. I even did /p /r, /f said not recognized command or something. I also ran all the utilities from the maxtor website and and ran the test that took like 45 hours to complete and they said my HD is fine. If I replace the registry is that going to mess up any of my files?

try a repair install. boot from cd hit enter to install windows xp, then after it searches for a previous installation select r for repair. that will replace all of the windows files except for keeping your settings and installed programs. you'll have to reinstall all the updates after that too.

thisguy

i tried that, thats how i got the blue screen to begin with. I was geting an error message before that said C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\NTFS.SYS missing or corrupt. I followed microsofts method of replacing the file through the repair console, no luck. So I re-installed windows using the repair option. Now Im getting the blue screen.

I've seen this problem a couple of times before. Here's how I fixed it:-
Visit http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/ and download a small version of Linux.

Burn the distribution onto a bootable CD using the instructions on the above web site.

Put a copy of the missing fileonto another CD or Floppy if you have a floppy drive. Copy this file from another PC with Windows XP.

Boot the malfunctioning PC into Linux using the disk you just created.

Look in C:\windows\system32\drivers to see if NTFS.SYS is there. If it is then rename it - Don't delete it.

Copy NTFS.SYS from the CD or floppy to C:\windows\system32\drivers

Remove all CDs and floppies then reboot the machine.

If more than one file is missing you may need to repeat the process for the other missing files.

Good Luck.

Steve

thisguy

thanks steve but I ended up formatting my HD already. I borrowed my buddys external HD and backed up all my stuff then reloaded windows HP. Everything is fine and dandy now and my computer is running faster like I was trying to get it to do in the first place. I appreciate everyones help though.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online