1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

winxp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SUZYNOW, Sep 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SUZYNOW

SUZYNOW Thread Starter

while installing winxp i get a fatal error mess. saying missing product catalog files how can i get these w/o buyng a whole new cd? :mad: :mad: :mad: &:mad:

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

It's unlikely you need to do anything but uninstall your anti-virus in Add/Remove Programs Control Panel and restart your computer before the installation. Additionally, besides uninstalling your anti-virus as the manual that comes with WinXP install CD in the Install section suggests, I d recommend also temporarily disabling your screen saver too, choose None. :D

3. SUZYNOW

SUZYNOW Thread Starter

I cannot do anything winxp is stuck on a blue screen i am afraid if i reboot i will have no operating system being as i made a new partition and formated my hard drive to install xp

4. Styxx

Styxx Banned

If you're stuck on a blue screen, turn off your computers power for 30 seconds then turn the power button back on. Afraid you'll have no Operating System? You don't have one now on a blue screen do you? Leave the CD in the drive, if it's out put it back in the drive, and do the above. Been there, done this. Reply back to say what happens and voice questions or concerns.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    So the harddrive was blank before you started installing XP?

Is this a newly built computer or has it been used before?

And I must ask because so many XP install problems occur from this: Is this an origianl XP CD? The burnt copies tend to have problems like this.

6. Styxx

Styxx Banned

ahh, the old 'burnt CD' hang, huh? Agreed, they won't work. Microsoft put anti-piracy code in them so if it's a burnt WinXP CD? Hang it up, and pay for one in the store or go back to what you were using.

If somebody is using the real CD a burnt copy was made from you'll only be able to use it for 30 days. If you can get it to install at all. because you have to register it within 30 days or Windows XP won't even boot after that time. And you can only register one (1) copy. The real one has likely already been registered.

7. SUZYNOW

SUZYNOW Thread Starter

this is an older comp. it had win me on it when i got it but i do not have the me disc i have a 98 disc from my other comp. but it will not let me install that either it says drive c must be formatted when i go to format iot it says drive c cannot be formatted and is incompatable with 98 how can tht be when it is empty and it preciously had 9x on it thanx for your help but i need to know more i have no o/s sue

8. Styxx

Styxx Banned

OK. If you're going to install Win98 on the unit and the computer BIOS tells you
    and you've had WinXP, or tried to, on the Hard Disk (HDD) that means you'll have to re-partition the HDD. Currently it's that New Technology File System (NTFS) (non-DOS partition) that WinXP uses.

Start your computer with a Win98 or WinME Startup disk in the [A] drive. I can only help you with this so far as communication here is limited without me actually seeing Fdisk running. So I may paraphrase some. Type, fdisk, at the [A] prompt and press Enter. What you have to do is choose the proper numbers/actions to:

Once in fdisk do not restart your computer until fdisk prompts you to. Start with Large Disk Support

1. View the current partition. It'll be a Non-DOS I bet.

2. Delete the current partition

3. Create a new DOS partiton using 100% of the drive.

4. After a Restart (the disk still in the drive) back at the [A] prompt, now format the partition and install Windows.

For questions or concerns reply back to this.

9. SUZYNOW

SUZYNOW Thread Starter

:D :D i was in fdisk yesterday but i did not use the "large" choice i will follow your step by step i appreciate all your help but i will not be able to get to it for a while, so how cold is it in Iowa being almost oct. you should be gearing up for snow; better you than me !!!!!!!!!!thanx i will let you know how it goes!!:eek: :eek:

10. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Well it's not a step by step, mid 30's at night here, so just go by this outline. Sorry it could't be more specific.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Just saw your emails and was wondering how you're doing. Styxx said it all, the only thing I'll add is that in FDISK you can use Option 5(view all partitions) to make sure you've deleted all the partitions. You must also use the large option.

Here's a more thorough FDISK guide: http://fdisk.radified.com/ Buts its a lot more then you need to know at this point.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!