1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WinXP's Networking problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by compilerxp, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. compilerxp

compilerxp Thread Starter

This is something I've seen in many WindowsXP setups... And on my own test system I am seeing it here. yet with windows98se setups - THEY never HAVE THIS PROBLEM.

I have PC-A with Windows98se and PC-B with WindowsXPPro.

Both are working fine, both can access the internet... both can play network gaming.

I run TCP/IP for internet (ONLYU) of course, and IPX for LAN.

The XP machine has no problems talking to the shared drives on the 98PC... of course - its typically SLOWER to access the folders than another Win98 PC (why? This seems LESS advanced).

The Win98se PC has problems talking to the WinXP PC, even thou it has no problems SEEING the system.

Click on the XP PC, creates the typical error warning "NO ACCESS ALLOWED". But that was about 40mins ago (I've been doing some other stuff)... yet when I tried it now- *I* can access the XP PC... And faster access to the folders than XP going the other way.

What is going on? This is a pain having it Work or not work over the network... depending on how "XP" is feeling at the time... This is old and lame... :(

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Do you have NETBIOS over TCP/IP enabled on all of the systems?

3. compilerxp

Er... no, not a good idea.

I have NetBIOS over my IPX network... been doing this for years... but its only WindowsXP that seems to have this problem... but even Windows2000 is SLOW on the folder/file listings.

It truely sucks to work over the network with WindowsXP... I don't get it. *WHEN* I do have access to the XP box, I can zip through the folder like I was using the machine directly - from the Win98 box.

Accessing the 98box from the XP box is like accesing the internet... a long pause.... before anything happens.

4. JohnWill

Please explain why NETBIOS over TCP/IP isn't a good idea. With any kind of firewall, I don't see an issue here.

Have you tried turning off the scan for scheduled tasks. Delete the following registry key, this helps a bunch in some cases.

Delete the following key from the Registry (after saving)

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameS
    pace\{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}

FWIW, there are a number of tweaks to the NETBIOS over TCP/IP entries that speed up network browsing for XP significantly, but you'd obviously have to be using it for it to help. :)

5. compilerxp

I will give that a try... Scheduler is empty... but "Scan of Scheduled tasks" - Im not familer with.

I'm still rather NEW to WindowsXP...

I gather M$ decided to do a sloppy job with their IPX driver?

6. JohnWill

It doesn't matter if your scheduler is empty, or even if the remote machine doesn't have any scheduled tasks. The slowdown exists anyway. I've applied that fix to all my 2K/XP machines, made a big difference in the initial folder display.

As far as the IPX driver, I truthfully have never used it, but I've used NETBEUI many times to solve these issues.

7. compilerxp

I don't know where to find the options for "Scan of Scheduled tasks"...

Gotta say... many aspects of WindowsXP is a pain in the rear... :(

8. JohnWill

The options for "scan of scheduled tasks" was the key I told you to delete!

9. compilerxp

I don't have that key: {D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}

hmmm... :(

10. JohnWill

Well, you can download X-Setup and under the network section, it has a checkmark to disable searching remote computers for scheduled tasks. That's the easy way to set the option. :D

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!