1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WinZip for Windows 95

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by earthfriend, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. earthfriend

earthfriend Thread Starter

Does anyone know where to find an older version of Win Zip that can be used with Windows 95? The latest version is called 9.0. The instructions say that it requires windows 98.
    In the past, when I have downloaded Win Zip it seemed to take over my computer. For example, it changed several of my existing file extensions, causing some files to become unusable. When setting up, you have to make choices that I do not fully understand. I imagine that if I were make better choices during setup my file problems wouldn't occur. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Bman

Bman

Ask and you shall receive :D
    Here's a link to OldVersions.com... click HERE
    Enjoy.

3. earthfriend

Thanks for the link!
    Do you have any suggestions for setting it up in a way that will minimize any file problems?

4. Bman

Bman

When installing WinZip there should be an option for a 'custom' installation. It will say something like 'for advanced users', in this section you can choose 'file associations' (which file extensions automatically use WinZip) you do not need to select all of these, you may just have to open WinZip manually. There is also an option for WinZip to run in the systray (down by the clock), I don't remember which version that started in, but you don't need that option either. One more note... WinZip has one of the best HELP systems, they have a very nice tutorial that will walk you through most of the features. This gets easily over looked by most users. A good rule of thumb when installing a utility program (or any software) use the 'custom' installation feature if it's available and if you see a feature offered that you don't think you need or will use... turn it off, you can always turn it on later if you need it. HTH

5. earthfriend

OK, this is good. Thank you!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222740

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice