1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wipe software and instruction on installing new OS

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Dawndd, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dawndd

Dawndd Thread Starter

Anyone who remembers my posts knows that I have been having all kinds of problems with my Win XP Home for at least three months now. Most of it has been my fault, as I don't do my research and get advice from experts like this forum before I barge ahead and pretend like I know more than I do. I'm on a Sony VAIO, almost 5 years old. It has 80 GBs and 700+ RAM and another 512 chip waiting to be installed (I want to fix these other issues first). I don't have any kind of original XP CD, which has caused many problems, because my computer came loaded with the OS. I just have restore disks which take me back to 2002. I have decided to wipe my hard drive and install my Dad's XP Pro, which is also 2002. At least I'd have the installation disk. He has permission to use it on multiple computers. I plan to get all of the updates for it from Microsoft once it is installed - is that a problem? I will not upgrade IE6 to IE7. I just think IE7 has been problematic and is full of holes.

Two questions? What is the best wipe software? I've read in some reputable places that Eraser is good. Then how do I prepare the machine to install XP Pro after I wipe it?
    And finally, sorry, three questions - I am starting a beginner computer class (no one needs it more than me) on the 15th. Does anyone know where I can get Excel 2003 cheap? I have learned my lesson and will not have that "bull in a china shop attitude" with messing around with my computer. From now on if something looks wrong I write you guys first. After you help me I get to justify buying something cool from the Tech Guy's store. :)
    Thanks in Advance,
    Dawn

2. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
  3. Dawndd

Dawndd Thread Starter

Hi Hon -

I appreciate the reply, but you need to read more slowly just like I do. I wrote that I have no XP CD.

Thanks for trying. What else do you have for me?
    Dawn

4. Dawndd

Dawndd Thread Starter

I should say I don't have a Win XP Home CD. I have caused so many problems with this computer that I have no doubt the registry and hidden things are messed up. That's why I want a complete wipe. If XP Pro can uninstall XP Home then it's not what I want I'm looking for. I actually tried that and XP Pro just installed itself next to XP Home. Now I have both on my system. I'll uninstall XP Pro before I wipe.
    Dawn

5. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    I read that, but I also saw that you were getting a copy from your dad.

I still stand by my original post. Following the instructions on that site will departition and repartition the hard drive, thus wiping all of the existing data on it, before formatting and installing Windows.

6. Lord Pyro

Lord Pyro

( reading your previous post you installed the operating system wrong your installed it on top of it but really you need it to install over it thus deleting windows home.)

For more detailed instuctions there are guides in the forum to help you to re-install windows.

Ok heres what you need to do.

1. Put your dads xp PRO cd in your cd drive
    2. Restart your computer
    3. It will give you an option to boot from cd when its loading the OS
    4. Press Any key and it should boot from the cd
    5. Follow the instructions
    6. Format the drive

Depending on if you have partitions you will be able to save some of your files your problems are most probarly caused by your operating system just follow the instructions on the cd and it will remove everything off your harddrive on the selected parttion you select.

I suggest after you have this installed you partition your harddrive to back up your files :)

7. Dawndd

Dawndd Thread Starter

OK I have read a lot by Microsoft so maybe that is what's messing me up. They state, everywhere that they can, that XP Home and XP Pro are in no way interchangeable. I couldn't even copy a small file I needed from XP Pro to fix an XP Home problem. I know how to uninstall XP Pro, however, my XP home is a mess and I can only get to some places because I can bring things like aol up through the task master. Are you saying that XP Pro will also uninstall my corrupted XP Home? If so, what happens to the registry and the hidden files, etc.? You see I don't just want to uninstall the Home OS system because after almost 5 years there is going to be hidden stuff on here left out of site. I've been learning about this from looking at free wipe software. If you uninstall an OS from the disk it would take about 5 mins. for someone with the right equiptment to find everything you uninstalled. Stuff is just left there. I tend to believe that is true. Whatever would be left on my machine would be something that would come back to haunt me. I need a fresh start.
    Is there no wipe software that anyone can suggest? Is it such a bad idea?
    Dawn

8. Dawndd

Dawndd Thread Starter

Sorry, didn't get the message that when I reinstall XP Pro that will do the formatting. So I won't worry about formatting anymore. Just wiping and reinstalling the XP Pro. Thank you.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541038

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice