1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wiped computer now can't reinstall windows

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Whitley, Jan 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Whitley

Whitley Thread Starter

I recently tried to install windows 8 on my windows 7 PC and the installation froze at 80%. Upon restart my computer could no longer boot into windows and therefore i had no choice but to wipe it. I ordered a windows 8 backup dvd and booting from this can get me no further then the windows logo and "juggling balls" loading screen before the screen goes black (backlight still on) the Toshiba recovery doesn't work either, asking me what language I want to proceed in and then also black screening me.

I have no idea how to fix my laptop (im typing this from another one) How can i install windows and get it running again?

P.S. when i turn it on with no disk in it says "please insert bootable media" etc.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the model name and model number of that Toshiba laptop?

(Note: The model number is 2 sets of numbers and letters separated by a dash)

-----------------------------------------------------------

When the Windows 8 install process froze at 80% and was aborted, the laptop was left with a non-working operating system.

How did you "wipe it"?

-----------------------------------------------------------

3. Whitley

Whitley Thread Starter

Model no. Satellite L850-1ek

And i attempted to return to factory settings using the toshiba recovery partition (holding 0 etc.) but im guessing it just wiped the computer instead as windows couldnt load once i had done it.

Also i can get options to use windows startup recovery/ start windows normally but neither results in windows actually loading.

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    All the Toshiba Satellite L850 series laptops listed at the Toshiba support site have 6 characters after L850-

Do you live in the United States or some other country?

----------------------------------------------------------

Did any reinstallation discs come with that laptop?

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Okay, I found it. Apparently, you live in the United Kingdom.

Toshiba Satellite L850-1EK (PSKDGE-02L00NMD)

See if this article helps you.

6. Whitley

Whitley Thread Starter

No reinstallation disks came and yeah, in the UK

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Did you create a set of Recovery DVDs (or CDs) before starting the Windows 8 install?

What is this and from where did you order it?

8. Whitley

Whitley Thread Starter

It's just a physical copy of windows 8 from microsoft. And no I did not create any backup DVDs

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you want to go back to Windows 7 you should see if you can purchase a set of Recovery DVDs from Toshiba.

Don't remember the exact sequence booting from the Windows 8 DVD, so please excuse these questions: it doesn't get even far enough to see if you want to do any disk partitioning or to do a "custom" or "update" install? It does or does not seem to have accessed the hard drive?

Did you run the Windows 8 Upgrade Advisor and it advised of no serious problems?

10. Whitley

Whitley Thread Starter

I'd rather go to windows 8 seeing as I have the disk. And nope doesn't give me any options whatsoever. When I ran the upgrade advisor it showed no problems at all.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Try booting the Windows 8 DVD on another machine far enough to make sure the disk is OK.

Try Memtest86+ to test the memory (and make sure that something will boot on the crippled machine). Actually, before going to that trouble if you can run a memory test from BIOS (Setup) do that first.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086936

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice