1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wiped hard disk & cannot load fdisk on.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chrispatt45, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chrispatt45

chrispatt45 Thread Starter

Hi All,
    I have an old toshiba 200cdt laptop which i would like to get up and running again. The hard drive has been completely wiped and I need to get fdisk again. I do not have a floppy drive, only a cd drive. I have tried putting fdisk and windows 95 boot disks onto a boot cd with nero although it will not give me anything other than the "missing operating system". The bios seems to be functioning okay but I noticed that it only has boot order of floppy or hard drive, could this be anything to do with why the cd wont boot?.
    I would be very grateful for any help that can be given.

Many Thanks.

2. Rockn

Rockn

Yea, that could be part of the problem. Don't you have the interchangeable drive bays on the laptop you can change from CD to floppy? The only other way I can think of doing it would be to take the drive out and do it on a PC with an IDE adapter.

3. chrispatt45

yeh I think it is interchangable but I have nothing to put into it. How breifly if u dont mind me asking do you sort it on another pc with the ide?, forgive my ignorance, the technical side isnt really my field.

4. chrispatt45

Do you mean attaching the hard disk to another pc IDE and tring to sort it out from there?

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Yes he does.

6. Rockn

Rockn

What he said. You should also make up an autoexec.bat and config.sys so you can access the CD-ROM once the PC boots up.

7. Arky

Arky

Go to this site
    http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/
    for the ultimate boot CD. It's loaded with just about any tool you will need to solve your problem.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You need to add CD-ROM to the boot order or else it won't boot from any CD - it might be possible to add the CD-ROM to the sequence or replace the floppy entry with CD-ROM.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One suggestion would be to pull the drive and connect it to another computer. Fdisk and format with the /s switch using a win9x boot disk or format it in a win9x computer. Copy the i386 folder to the drive and include a copy of smartdrive; you will need it for the install. Now place the drive back in the laptop and boot. Change to the i386 folder and type smartdrv.exe to run smart drive. Now type winnt to start the install process. Just do not choose to format the drive during the install process.

This is a round about, convoluted way of doing things, however it should work.

10. chrispatt45

Thanks a million, I will give this a try and hopefully it should work. Thanks again. :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269329

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice