1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wiped hard drive!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cherry pie, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cherry pie

cherry pie Thread Starter

A friend of mine called me for help. He booted up his computer this morning and got a message saying (operatingsystem not found!!) I knew from him that he downloaded something from a site called (Lime Wire) think it's some free sharing site :S well!! I don't what he got but he got it!! next morning nothing was there!! I tried to boot it in the evening and I got no error... just a black screen.

I took his PC and my main goal was to get his data back. I hooked up the HDD to a USB-to-IDE. It made a lot of funny noises mainly spinning the disks but no clicking and clanging. It hardly got read by a vista OS. but there was nothing there! absolutly nothing. I opened computer > manage > storage and it showed me that both partitions in the HDD are healthy but a 100% free space for both. I think the HDD is fried and I have to get a new HDD but the main issue is to get the data Back. I tried to plug the HDD to another XP machine this time. made the funny noises again, it was recognized for a second but then it failed to read it.

I know the things he downloaded might have caused the issue but I'm curious to know what exactly might have happened to zip all every single bit of it!

The second thing, is there anyway I can get the data back? I heard "Final Data" is a good program to retrieve lost data but I've never used it before. Can anyone advice if this is a good software or if there is a better recommendation before I go out and purchase it?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

3. cherry pie

Thanks elvandil, any of those is vista compatible? before I try downloading them :)

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

They should all work on Vista. I tried (with some limited success) to order them from best to worst. But you may have luck with any of them, so worth a try.

5. cherry pie

Well... started with the first one... i'll give it a try and see hopefully it works.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Just FYI. They vary according to the results they give. Some are better at showing file names, while PCI tends just to show "clusters" that makes it very confusing. Just keep trying until you have luck and find one you like. The data has to be there if not erased or overwtritten. but if you have no luck at all, try partition recovery:

Free:

Testdisk Documentation
    Testdisk Download
    Partition Find & Mount
    Free DTIData NTFS Partition Repair Tool

Commercial:

Diskinternals Partition Recovery (Demo)
    [email protected] Partition Recovery
    Bootmaster Partition Recovery
    ZAR Partition Recovery
    DIY DataRecovery DiskPatch
    Partition Table Doctor

7. cherry pie

Well I guess it's not my lucky day (or actually my friend)... I installed the first one (recuva) but now my PC is unable to read the hard disk anymore so I won't even have a chance to try any at all... The data is not ereased (at least intentionally) and definitely not overwritten. What about those partition recovery programs? would they help in such a case?

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

If the partition is dmamged anyway, you may as well try the recovery programs. They don't touch the data itself, so they should not affect further recovery efforts.

Can you explain a bit what happened with Recuva? These recovery programs don't write to the disk so they should not affect its integrity. Did it disappear from Computer, Disk Management, Device Manager, or what?

9. cherry pie

When I plug the disk, I get a baloon notification saying (the disk is detected and installation of it complete, device is ready). Then before it appears in my computer I get another baloon saying the device failed (doesn't appear in my computer, disk management or device manager)

So the answer is nothing happened with recuva, since I never run it on the disk at all

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647372

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice