Wiped HD, no XP disk...now what?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

markprior22

I have a Compaq laptop that I would like to sell. I ran a program to wipe the hard drive and figured the recovery disks that came with the laptop would allow me to reinstall the operating system (XP Home). Apparently the backup disks do not have the operating system on them. I guess that was a dumb move on my part but the hd needed to be wiped no matter what (I had tax info and other financial data on it) so I suppose I would be facing this problem no matter what. Since I want to sell the laptop, does anyone have an idea of how I can get my hands on a copy of XP Home? As far as I know, it wouldn't be a pirate situation since I would use the validation code from the sticker on the laptop. Bottom line is I really don't want to pay $ 80-$ 100 or whatever for a copy of XP for a computer that 1) already had it and 2) I'm going to sell. Appreciate any ideas or advice. Thanks...

You may be able to get a copy of the recovery disks from HP/Compaq if it's not too old. Most of those machines have a hidden partition on the HD that has the recovery information and you are supposed to make a set upon purchase. Otherwise, without being a pirate, you will have to buy Windows and then hunt the drivers down for everything.

Joshua

valis

ubuntu is essentially even more idiot proof than XP is....... I've got an ubuntu box and it runs everything and then some that XP does........you could even go with a stripped down version of linux called puppy linux that runs in ram, never have to worry about a virus again....

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
What do the labels on the CDs that came with the laptop say (exact wording)? Trying to find out if they are actual Windows installation disks, or system recovery disks (an image of the original hard drive).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online