Wiped OS and Data Transfer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Maestro2500

An HP Pavilion laptop I've had for 4 years just started running into some problems a couple of weeks ago. First, the screen went out. Now it won't even work when hooked up to an external monitor. I have been given an HP Pavilion desktop computer by my mother, but she completely wiped the OS somehow, and I am left with nothing but a blinking cursor at the top left of the screen whenever I want to turn the computer on. I'd like to see if I can transfer the data on the laptops hard drive to the HP desktop. I have an external hard drive and a third computer. However, I might not be able to do so without an OS for the HP computer. And, they have already lost their installation media for the operating system that came with the computer. What should I do? Can you purchase just the installation media for any computer, or is it specific installation media that is linked with the product key in the computer firmware, and how does one do a dry data transfer of a hard drive when the computer it's in is having problems? Both computers use Windows 10. The desktop in question is also a Pavilion.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I have been given an HP Pavilion desktop computer by my mother, but she completely wiped the OS
Can you purchase just the installation media
What's the exact model number of that HP Pavilion desktop?
What's the exact product number(P/N) on it?
What country do you live in?

-------------------------------------------------------------

Maestro2500

What's the exact model number of that HP Pavilion desktop?
What's the exact product number(P/N) on it?
What country do you live in?

-------------------------------------------------------------
P7-1054. Product number QN628AA#ABA, USA.

Do you know if she upgraded to Windows 10 or can you ask her?
If she did and it booted 10 just once, you can create an installation DVD and it will activate automatically (Tell it you don't have a key when setup asks you) You will probably not need any drivers using this method.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/
If she didn't, you need to scribble down the license code for Windows 7 Home Premium which is somewhere on the outside of the PC and go here to download 7: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7
You will; however also need to download all of the drivers listed under Driver-Original (6 of them) on a different PC, copy them to a flash drive, copy them to a folder on the HP, and then install them. I like to use Save As so I can add Realtek-NIC- to the front of HP's SPxxx filenames which makes it easier to know which driver it is.
Use the DVD to install Windows 7, install those drivers, and the PC should work.
Frank's link (above) will take you to the correct page at HP.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If I remember correctly, Microsoft will not accept an "OEM" product key to download a Windows 7 SP1 ISO file from that site.
It will only accept a "Retail" product key.

---------------------------------------------------------------

From my experience, it won't accept a Volume License Key; but, works fine with OEM, upgrade, or retail.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I just tried it with the Windows 7 "OEM" product key on this Dell desktop.
This is the message that was displayed.
Capture.JPG

--------------------------------------------------------------

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I'm aware of and have used that tool, but it's not one that we've openly publicized here.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online