1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wiped out OS, reinstalled but need drivers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shaggy_yak, Apr 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shaggy_yak

shaggy_yak Thread Starter

Hey! It's funny when you think you know what you're and then you hit a huge big fat WALL. The hard drive on my friends computer was wiped out so I reformatted and reinstalled Win98SE from another CD because she had no recovery disc or anything. It all turned out okay and Windows works and all BUT it appears as though the video drivers and sound card drivers are MIA. The video only runs in 640x480x16 colors and there is no sound. This isn't the way it was before it was fried. I was wondering if anybody knows how I could go about recovering this. I suppose I would have to find out what type of video and sound cards are in the computer and then go about looking for the neccessary drivers. Should this info be on the hardware in the CPU itself? Or is there a program in Windows that will auto detect this stuff? Although I like to think I know what I'm doing, this isn't always the case. I'm pretty clueless at the moment. The computer is a custom built home jobby so I'm not sure of the specs or anything. I believe its a Pentium III-something-or-other and the OS is Windows98SE. I managed to get the internet working which should help some. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.... Shaggy_Yak.:confused:

2. Sponsor

3. rivincarn

rivincarn

4. shaggy_yak

Thanks! I will definitely give that a try... Shaggy_yak

5. shaggy_yak

I couldn't get the link to driver-search.com to work. Is that the right address? Maybe there's some other site I could look for drivers in? Thanks... Shaggy_Yak.

6. rivincarn

rivincarn

Sorry wrong link.Try this one www.driversearch.com. THe username it ask for when downloading drivers is driver and the pass is all

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd physically check the video and sound cards for the models, and go to the web site of the manufacturer.

8. shaggy_yak

Thanks again! That one worked. I'm not sure when I'll be able to try this out because I'm not around the computer that needs the work right now. But I'll be sure to let you know if it turns out alright. Thanks again.... Shaggy_Yak.

9. mobo

mobo

another piece of software to retrieve the hardware info is belarc advisor .

10. shaggy_yak

Hey thanks for all the advice! The AIDA32 program works super good. It lists eveything installed in you computer and also takes you directly to the sites to download the drivers. The computer has never run so good. Thanks again! Later... Shaggy_Yak.:D

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/127226