Solved Wiping A Secondary Hard Drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

PunTimes

Hello, my name is Antony. I just joined the site because I was trying a DIY with something I'm not familiar with and managed to overcome the innate male bias of "meh it'll probably work, who needs help these days?" +1 to me for that. Anyway, The problem in question requires a bit of explanation (or maybe it doesn't, but with these types of things it pays to be concise.)

I got a new computer about 2 years ago. It came with approximately 250 GB of storage. Deciding that was too small, I decided to have the hard drive of my old computer installed into my new computer as a secondary hard drive, since they share the same operating system (Windows 7.) My main hard drive is C: and this secondary hard drive is F:. There were some files I wanted to copy from one to the other but mostly I just wanted the additional space I had left on the old hard drive (about 150 GB of 500 GB.) However, C: has started to run out of space and I realize that I'm not interested in keeping any files on F:. To this end I thought to wipe F: to free up all of its space and downloaded a program off the internet to accomplish this. The program is called MiniTool Partition Wizard and I chose this program because it apparently can wipe a hard drive without wiping the operating system along with it.

At this point I'm sure some of you will be wondering what the problem is. The problem is that when it comes to things like wiping disks or any other sensitive, potentially computer destroying tasks, I'm more-or-less equivalent to those seniors who don't even know what 'internet' means. I'm technologically illiterate in this regard and rather than try and fail then complain, I thought I'd ask people who might actually know beforehand. On to my questions (long explanation, but hopefully the problem is fully explained.)

1. The MiniTool Partition Wizard has several wipe functions. According to what I read prior to this post, the function I'm looking for is "Wipe Partition." Can anyone corroborate this?

2. Since this is a secondary hard drive, do I even need to worry about not erasing its operating system?

3. After the wipe is complete, what, if any, formatting do I need to perform to continue using it as a secondary hard drive?

4. Can the MiniTool Partition Wizard accomplish this format?

5. If the MiniTool Partition Wizard can't, are there other programs that can be downloaded freely which can accomplish it?

Thank you in advance to anyone who has the knowledge and is willing to take the time to try and help me.

texasbullet

Ramon
Follow this steps:
1. Click on start
2. highlight "computer" and right click on it and select "manage".
3. Select "disk management" (wait a few seconds).
4. You will see two choices of HDD (Disk 0 and disk 1)
5. Click on the HDD you want to format. Right click on it and select "format" and follow on screen instructions.
6. Once done you are all set.

NOTE: Disk 0 is your c drive. DO NOT attempt to format it.

Last edited:

PunTimes

Thanks for the speedy reply, got new questions for that process, though. When I click on format, this menu opens up. I have no idea what any ofthis means. Could you explain it?

Attachments

PunTimes

I'm not comfortable with that when I don't know what I'm agreeing to. If it's too complicated for you to explain to someone like me, I'll try Googling it, but I don't want to do this until I'm absolutely sure I'm not making a mistake.

texasbullet

Ramon
Your hard drive will be formatted into the NTFS format. That is all is saying.
There is nothing wrong.

PunTimes

Well, thanks for this. I wasn't expecting this level of service from volunteers. G'day mate.

texasbullet

Ramon
You can also check video tutorials on youtube. Will tell you the same steps. Thanks for your compliment.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online