Wiping Hard drive completely clean

racng69

Hello,

i have a new computer in which was a work computer. however i was laid off and business closed and they did not want the computer back. How can i wipe the computer clean to where it wont have any of the tracking items they've installed and etc. Do i need to purchase a new OS? i cant even log onto the computer, since im not on their network and no more IT guys to help with this. Is this a possibility?

Gr3iz

Mark
You will have to buy and install a new OS if you intend to use this PC. When yo ugo to install it, you can choose to delete the existing partitions and that should wipe out anything on it ...

this link may help:
https://forums.techguy.org/threads/doing-a-completely-clean-reinstall-of-windows-10.1235377/

to get new windows:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

To try retain product key, you need to install same Windows edition (ex. Pro or Home)

To wipe out disk, when you get to "Select disk" in Windows 10 installation screen, press SHIFT + F10 to open up command prompt. (don't click anywhere else to prevent prompt disappearing)

to wipe out disk:
Code:
DISKPART
lis dis
here select your disk you want to nuke: (ex. disk 0)

Code:
sel dis 0
clean
close console.
click on "Refresh" link button to show new disk state

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
racng69:
You didn't say which Windows version is currently installed in that work computer.
If it's Windows 10 Home or Pro, there's no need for you to purchase a copy of Windows 10.
All you need to do is download and save the free Media Creation Tool and then use it to create a bootable install DVD or bootable USB thumb drive and then use that media to do a "clean" stall of Windows 10 Home or Pro.
A "clean" install wipes out the hard drive and gives that work computer a fresh start.

-------------------------------------------------

Gr3iz

Mark
Frank, since it was a work computer and the OP could not log in since it was not on a network, I figured it may be an Enterprise version of the OS. I don't know if you can simply run the install from M$ and have it load Home or Pro with the Enterprise "key" having been on it previously. Not being a Win10 fan, nor user, I may be wrong ...

crjdriver

If the system had enterprise, then you are going to have to purchase a new copy of windows. It is certainly worth a shot to install Pro and see if windows will activate itself. If it does, great; if not, then you have to purchase a copy of either home or pro.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I may be wrong, but I don't think you can buy machine with Enterprise license already on it. If it's a branded machine, it should already have a (most likely) Pro license.

@racng69 What is your machine's Make, Model, and Serial Number (or Service Tag if it's a Dell)?

crjdriver

At work [or at least where I used to work] We have approx 3~4000 dells and they came with enterprise.

Last edited:

Gr3iz

Mark
OEMs will often ship with a company's image, if requested, for a nominal fee ...

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
From what I experienced with another issue, Enterprise is an upgrade, not a full license so if they come with Enterprise, I am sure that they should have a Pro license behind it? Anyways let's not get carried away too far from the original post.

In this instance, to ensure you have the correct license, I would recommend purchasing a new license that you will own.

racng69

Thanks all. Its an HP Elitebook imaged by the company. i did purchase a windows 10 home usb (there is no CD on this computer). however when i plug it in and start up the machine, it goes straight to the login screen. in which i cannot log in. doesnt seem like it is registering the usb.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You need to change the boot sequence to see the USB first.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online