1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wire Network Troubles

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Swede109, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Swede109

Swede109 Thread Starter

Hello
    I have a wire network using a Linksys router with three desktop computers all running XP Home. The network has been working great for some time.
    The oldest machine, a Dell 4400, started acting up so I reformatted it.
    Now after formatting the Dell 4400 cant connect to the internet. As part of the troubleshooting process I wanted to open 'ipconfig' to check IPs. When I click OK, the black window comes up for a split second and vanishes. I tried 'ipconfig / renew *local*' and it also vanishes.
    This one is new to me, if someone can help with this one I'd really appreciate it.
    Thanks.

2. jmwills

jmwills

With a Dell, you may have to install the chipset Drivers then the ethernet drivers.
    Does the Device manager show any yellow excalmation marks?

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Welcome, Swede109.

You can read at your leisure if you open a command window before typing ipconfig. :)

Start - Run - cmd (or Command in older OS) - OK
    ipconfig /all

Jmwills probably pinpointed your problem. If you don't have the Dell Drivers CD, you should be able to get the proper drivers from Dell's website (with a working computer).

4. Swede109

Swede109 Thread Starter

Thanks Guys.. Yep, forgot that I have to do 'cmd' first to get there... I got the info.

No, there are no yellow question marks in Device Mgr.. So may I assume that the drivers didn't go away with the reformat and are still functioning? Device Mgr says the network card is working properly.
    Intel(R) PRO/100+PCI Adapter

Now let me ask this.. During the re-install process, when I got to the place where you fill in the blanks for IP address, sudnet mask, def gate etc, or, check find automatically, I chose find automatically.
    Do I have to fill this in now somewhere?
    Thanks.

5. Swede109

Swede109 Thread Starter

Hey Guys I got it working.. I remembered how to fill in the blanks in ..
    Local Area Connection Properties
    Internet Protocol [TCP/IP]
    check Use the following IP address

Using the info I got from ipconfig..

Now, the question I have is.. What order do I install everything?
    The version of XP that came with this computer, early 2001, didn't come with SP2.
    Should I install SP2 before I install Mcafee or does it matter?
    Any other considerations I should know about?
    Thanks again.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537045

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice