1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wired and wireless connectivity

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dezmoduo, Jan 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dezmoduo

dezmoduo Thread Starter

I've got a home network with broadband (cable) running thru an older D-Link 614+. (wireless & 4 port)
    4 Desk PC's are hard wired, two of them thru a 4 port switch.
    The remaining Desktop PC (daughter remote bedroom), and single laptop are wireless.

ALl the computer get internet connections, no problem. The 4 hard wired units show up on the network "MSHOME". I can share files, and media, and printing. Its great.

Both wireless units do not "see" any of the other machines. How can it be that the wireless part of the same router can see the wired units. Odd.

And and all suggestions are welcome of course.

Gary

2. VirtualMe

VirtualMe

You can try updating the firmware on the router and for your wireless adaptors?

There are 2 revisions of the DI-614+, each with version specific drivers and firmware.

DI-614+
    DI-614+ Revision A
    The DI-614+ Rev. A has an ARM7 processor and 2 antennas.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DI-614+_revB
    DI-614+ Revision B
    The DI-614+ Rev. B has an ARM9 processor and only 1 antenna.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can start here in finding the firmware updates to your router...... http://support.dlink.com/ ......or this way below.

How to upgrade the firmware on your router

You will have figure out what the laptops wireless adapter is and your daughters pc has and see if there is any updates for them also.

3. dezmoduo

dezmoduo Thread Starter

This seems to be the last update for the 614+ rev.A (dual antenna)
    <<Current Firmware Version: 2.30
    Firmware Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004>>
    ANd thats what is currently installed.

The laptop uses a wp11 3.0 linksys with W95 OS. Its really old P120 40meg Ram machine, good for IM's and mail while I'm gaming on the PC and so forth.

The following is what is in the remote PC. (There does not appear to be a firmware upgrade for this card.

SPECIFICATIONS
    Model
    CNWLC-811
    Standard
    • IEEE 802.11b
    Channels
    • 1-11 (U.S.)
    • 1-13 (Elsewhere Worldwide)
    • 1-13,14 (Japan)
    Modulation
    • CCK, DQPSK, DBPSK
    Network Protocols
    • TCP/IP, IPX, NDIS 4, NDIS 5, NDIS 5.1, NetBEUI
    Software Support
    • MS Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP
    Interface
    • CardBus
    Antenna
    • Internal Antenna with diversity support
    Transmit Power
    • 15 dBm Typical
    Dimensions ( L x W x H )
    • 54x117x3 mm (2.13x4.61x0.12 inch)
    Certifications
    • CE, FCC
    Environment
    • Operating Temperature: -20° ~ 70°C (-4° ~ 158°
    • Storage Temperature: -40° ~ 80°C (-40° ~ 176°
    • Humidity: 10% ~ 90% Non-condensing

I've got a Belkin desktop wireless card, and 2 D-link DWL 520+ cards hanging around. They were used prior to running the CAT5 wire and Networking was not as important then as was Internet Access for the household.

Tomorrow I will try a card swap in the remote desktop. I will suffer the wrath of hell if the web connection is compromised though!! :D

Gary

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/432126

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice