Wired and wireless connectivity

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dezmoduo

I've got a home network with broadband (cable) running thru an older D-Link 614+. (wireless & 4 port)
4 Desk PC's are hard wired, two of them thru a 4 port switch.
The remaining Desktop PC (daughter remote bedroom), and single laptop are wireless.

ALl the computer get internet connections, no problem. The 4 hard wired units show up on the network "MSHOME". I can share files, and media, and printing. Its great.

Both wireless units do not "see" any of the other machines. How can it be that the wireless part of the same router can see the wired units. Odd.

And and all suggestions are welcome of course.

Gary

You can try updating the firmware on the router and for your wireless adaptors?

There are 2 revisions of the DI-614+, each with version specific drivers and firmware.

DI-614+
DI-614+ Revision A
The DI-614+ Rev. A has an ARM7 processor and 2 antennas.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DI-614+_revB
DI-614+ Revision B
The DI-614+ Rev. B has an ARM9 processor and only 1 antenna.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can start here in finding the firmware updates to your router...... http://support.dlink.com/ ......or this way below.

How to upgrade the firmware on your router

You will have figure out what the laptops wireless adapter is and your daughters pc has and see if there is any updates for them also.

dezmoduo

This seems to be the last update for the 614+ rev.A (dual antenna)
<<Current Firmware Version: 2.30
Firmware Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004>>
ANd thats what is currently installed.

The laptop uses a wp11 3.0 linksys with W95 OS. Its really old P120 40meg Ram machine, good for IM's and mail while I'm gaming on the PC and so forth.

The following is what is in the remote PC. (There does not appear to be a firmware upgrade for this card.

SPECIFICATIONS
Model
CNWLC-811
Standard
• IEEE 802.11b
Channels
• 1-11 (U.S.)
• 1-13 (Elsewhere Worldwide)
• 1-13,14 (Japan)
Modulation
• CCK, DQPSK, DBPSK
Network Protocols
• TCP/IP, IPX, NDIS 4, NDIS 5, NDIS 5.1, NetBEUI
Software Support
• MS Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP
Interface
• CardBus
Antenna
• Internal Antenna with diversity support
Transmit Power
• 15 dBm Typical
Dimensions ( L x W x H )
• 54x117x3 mm (2.13x4.61x0.12 inch)
Certifications
• CE, FCC
Environment
• Operating Temperature: -20° ~ 70°C (-4° ~ 158°
• Storage Temperature: -40° ~ 80°C (-40° ~ 176°
• Humidity: 10% ~ 90% Non-condensing

I've got a Belkin desktop wireless card, and 2 D-link DWL 520+ cards hanging around. They were used prior to running the CAT5 wire and Networking was not as important then as was Internet Access for the household.

Tomorrow I will try a card swap in the remote desktop. I will suffer the wrath of hell if the web connection is compromised though!! :D

Gary

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online