1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wired, but no wireless...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Flashback, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Flashback

Flashback Thread Starter

Not sure if this is a dell issue or a wireless issue, but hopefully this is the best forum for posting this question. Last week I installed vista on a dell laptop and reinstalled all new drivers. If I connect the laptop via a cat6 cable the internet works fine. However I cannot seem to get the wireless portion to work again. It is turned on in the BIOS. Is there something else that I forgot to do? :confused:

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

You could input your Service Tag found on the case of the computer at the Dell website to see if there's a better driver for the wireless chip. Did this laptop come with Vista or an earlier version of Windows? Is the wireless driver in place at all or is there a yellow mark beside it in Device Manager?

3. Flashback

Flashback Thread Starter

Using the latest ones.

vista

Yes it's in place.

4. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

At what stage do you think it stopped working? Can it "see" your network but not connect? Can it connect with limited or no connectivity?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type devmgmt.msc

Please respond to all the following steps.

1. Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed.
    2. Are there any devices under Network adapters that have a red x displayed?
    3. Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed?

It would be best if you could post a screen shot of Device Manager with the Network adapters and Other devices sections expanded.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

Download and run this Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector, click the Networks link on the upper left and paste a screen shot of that screen here. Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920719

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice