Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wired connection interferes with wireless connection

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Multihunter 
#1 ·
I've had this problem for a while now, and until recently, I was fine with having my wired adapter disabled. But now I want to use this computer to use ICS.

This has been a problem for as long as I can remember using my computer in this house. There's actually a few different things that happen, but I feel certain that they are related.

I have my computer connected wirelessly to the houses main router which provides internet access. I have plugged into my computer a connection to a switch in my room. Regardless of whether or not something else is connected to the switch, I often can't access the internet while it's plugged into the switch. Sometimes I can, but I'm not sure what situation allows me to do so. I just keep disabling the adapter or unplugging and replugging it or switching off the switch or some combination of the three until it lets me use the internet while being connected to the wired connection.

Even when it does work, it tends to be quite slow and drop out for short, irregular periods.

I have a PS3 connected to the switch, which I want to be able to go onto the internet with using the wires (keeping the wireless free to be used for AdHocParty). I have configured the IP manually, setting the default gateway to my computers IP address on the switches network, and the DNS servers as my computers IP on the wireless network and the routers IP on the wireless network. I don't know if it should, but it works perfectly for a while. I can use the internet fine with the wired connection, but after about 5 minutes (yes, every time it's about 5 minutes) I suddenly lose the connection. If I do the "network test" it reconnects me and I have another 5 minutes of the internet working fine. This is true if I continually use the internet, or if I only use it a little bit, then leave it for a few minutes. However, if I leave it alone for long enough, it reconnects to the internet.

Often, when my PS3 gets disconnected, I have a problem using the internet with my computer too; pages take a long time to load, if they load at all, etc.

I have told the computer that it isn't allowed to turn off the network adapters to save power.

Strangely, if I have a constant stream, like a voice chat, going, even if my internet doesn't work for anything else I try to use it for, it will continue to work for the voice chat. And my computer maintains that I have internet access, it's just that pages won't load.

If I go to the adapter settings page, go to Advanced -> Advanced Settings.... I have my wireless connection on top of the list, then my ethernet.

Many times I have my web browser trying to load a page while this is happening, then, in a smaller window I disable my ethernet adapter, and the web page in the background instantly begins to load properly, without me having to refresh or anything like that.

I have 'Hamachi' and 'ForceBindIP' installed. I don't use them for any of this, but they are the only programs that I can think of that might be interfering. Although, I'm pretty sure I had this problem before I installed either of them.

Specs:
CPU: Intel i7 870 2.9GHz
GPU: Nvidia 1GB GTX 460 (Palit Sonic overclocked edition)
Motherboard: Asus P7P55 LX
- On-Board ethernet adapter
- External, USB wireless adapter

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.