1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wired internet through wireless router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by terran2265, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. terran2265

terran2265 Thread Starter

I have a wireless router/access point (the US Robotics 8054) and I want to use it with an existing wired network. I do not need the wireless router to act as a router right now, the connection to the internet is through the wired network (so I am just plugging a cat5 cable into the router). How do I configure the router to act as an access point?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

- Turn off DHCP in the router configuration.
    - Set the router's IP address to be in the same subnet, but outside the range of the wired network's DHCP server.
    - Connect the wired network connection to one of the LAN ports on the router.
    - Do NOT connect anything to the WAN port of the router.

3. terran2265

terran2265 Thread Starter

What if I don't know the range of the wired network DHCP server?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, I suggest you find out. :rolleyes: You don't want to put the router into the range of IP addresses in the DHCP pool, because that will screw things up when that IP address is assigned by the DHCP server.

If you don't have access that that information, I suspect that you shouldn't be connecting a wireless router to that network anyway...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172236

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice