1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved wired Mouse not working but wireless mouse is

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FredricJLowe, Aug 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FredricJLowe

FredricJLowe Thread Starter

Recently I installed a Microsoft wireless mouse and it is working. But the wired mouse is now sporadic and at times freezes. I have unplugged the wireless mouse and rebooted several times. Even did a system restore.
    Also an Excel spreadsheet stopped working with the wired mouse just freezing the screen completely. Even after rebooting, the Excel will open and eventually I will get a cross hair image. I have tried to update the driver on the wired mouse but it says I already have the most uptodate one. I am running Windows 10 64 bit. I scanned with Malware antimalware and it eliminated over 300 items. I am not sure what is going on.
    I hope I don't have a virus. I have Norton 360 with my Comcast subscription but now I cannot even see it in my taskbar. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall but nothing happens in Control Panel when I try to uninstall.
    I have a Dell XPS desktop. As I write the wired mouse is not functioning. If I unplug the mouse and put it back in the mouse port it works for a minute or so and then just dies. I don't even see the red light at the bottom of the mouse sometimes. I just unplugged the wired mouse and now it is working. So it is very odd behavior. I imagine by the time I post this the wired mouse will freeze again as has been the case. In the interim while I wait for a reply, I'll contact Comcast and see if they can help me with the Norton virus software issue.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8125 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 210, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 461073 MB, Free - 229999 MB; D: Total - 15359 MB, Free - 3515 MB; F: Total - 953835 MB, Free - 493791 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0TP406
    Antivirus: Norton Security Suite, Updated and Enabled

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  2. lynx1021

lynx1021

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You appear to have a Dell XPS 420 desktop.

If I understand you correctly, you have both wired and wireless mice connected to it?

--------------------------------------------------------------

That model desktop hasn't been tested for Windows 10, so that may be part of your issue.

Capture.JPG

--------------------------------------------------------------

valis likes this.
  4. valis

valis Moderator

I'd wager a large chunk o'change on that being correct; I've had 2 of those so far this week, Dell rigs that had 10 on them and weren't tested for it. It can create a slew of errors.

5. FredricJLowe

FredricJLowe Thread Starter

I think the problem is resolved due to the old wired mouse not working. I was on the phone with Norton from my Comcast who reinstalled Norton Security Suite. He suggested plugging in that old wired mouse into another computer. I did and it wasn't recognized. I had a Logitech wired mouse so I plugged that in and it has been working fine and in Excel without any issues for the past 1.5 hrs.

I'll keep this as an open thread for a few more hours just in case if the issue returns. But thank you to all of your for your help!!!

6. lynx1021

lynx1021

They do go bad, I just replaced a wired optical mouse on my wife computer the pointer got jerky and hard to click on small items.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1177211

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice