1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wired networking of Xbox 360 (Via Ethernet cables) HELP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by chompie, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chompie

chompie Thread Starter

Hi, i have searched around but have not seen this setup explained and have been buggering about to no avail for too long.

I am looking to connect my Xbox 360 to my Internet connection (and PC for media) via the ethernet cable.

I am connected to a 3com Router (downstairs) via a Wireless adapter.

I have tried bridging my wireless connection and the wired (ethernet) connection but this just means nothing works. The Xbox finds the network like this, but does not get assigned an IP. assuming this is because it is the same IP that my PC is assigned?

I have just a normal patch rj45 ethernet cable, and have heard people that have used a crossover cable with success?

if i have left out any salient information let me know.

any help in getting this connection working would be appreciated.

cheers

2. lawson_jl

lawson_jl

I'm not sure exactly what your tring to do here. It sounds as if your PC is connected to the router via wireless and that you want to connect your Xbox360 via the PC. If your conencting the Xbox 360 to the PC's ethernet jack you need to use a crossover cable and set up Internet Connection Sharing on the PC for it to work. This can be a bit tricky but google will give you a few good tutorials and you should be able to get a crossover cable from any local PC shop.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, bridging the wired and wireless connections is a better way to go in this scenario. You eliminate the NAT layer of ICS and still have the same connectivity.

4. chompie

chompie Thread Starter

that's right, i want to connect the xbox to my PC (which is connected to the Internet using a wireless adapter)

I just bought an ethernet cable and with those bloody blister packs which you have to destroy to open, there is no way i can take that back?

Regarding bridging the wireless and wired connection, i tried this in the network connections folder, and as mentioned, my internet connection no longer worked once the bridging was complete (it created a minimac bridge, or something :confused:)

so is/are there some setting/s i need to change in the router or the wireless adapter? or is this also the result of a RJ45 rather than crossover cable?

my wireless adapter is connected to the router via an Infastructure network with auto-wep encryption.

cheers for your help

5. JohnWill

You need a crossover cable, not a plain patch cable.

6. chompie

chompie Thread Starter

hi, i have now got my X-over cables, and at first it seemed they had the same result, in that the internet connection (via adapter) did not work at all. then i tried to force compatability using command prompt Netsh bridge set a(blah)e
    that appeared to not work either as still no connection, then i received a exclaimation in the taskbar saying Windows System error - there is a conflict of IP addresses with another network on the system?

my Router assigns IP's through DHCP server but i'm not sure if it will allocate two through one PC?
    i Have a 3com officeconnect wireless adapter and a 3com router (which i can't even connect to with the bridge on) I disabled the LAN connection in the bridge and i still cannot connect to the wireless network but no longer get the conflict message.

any help appreciated.

7. JohnWill

It will assign multiple addresses on a single wire, it's the same as connecting an Ethernet switch to a single port on the router.

8. chompie

chompie Thread Starter

so any suggestions as to why it isn't working?

9. chompie

chompie Thread Starter

hi, incase i have not explained myself clearly here is a Basic (in the extreme) picture of the setup i am trying to get working.
    [​IMG]

10. JohnWill

Remove the bridge configuration and post the following with the XBOX connected as above.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

11. chompie

chompie Thread Starter

cheers John Will here is the information you requested.

12. JohnWill

With the bridge disabled, let's run this repair, then try the bridge again.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2/SP3.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

13. chompie

chompie Thread Starter

I again got the system error (IP add' conflict) message, and the wireless connection would not work, also no IP settings (just blank) were showing on the Xbox, where as before there was an IP address and subnet mask showing.

any more checks you need me to perform?
    i have removed the wireless connection from the bridge (so i can send this) but can replace it for any checks

14. JohnWill

Well, it's a mystery, don't know why that's not working.

15. chompie

chompie Thread Starter

nothing to do with the fact that the router (downstairs) and the wireless adapter (upstairs) are configured/run by 3com software?

here are the router settings in case:

General Information
    3C number 3CRWE754G72-A
    Software version 1.31 (Apr 18 2005 11:14:22)
    Boot loader version V1.4
    Wireless version 2.5.2.0
    ADSL modem version 13.9.38
    Hardware version 01
    Serial number LVCS3L9FB280A

Access From The Internet
    Firewall Enabled
    Universal Plug & Play Enabled
    Discard ping from the Internet Yes

Internet Settings
    WAN Connection Type PPPOA
    Status CONNECTED
    Internet IP address 79.74.177.97
    Subnet Mask 255.0.0.0
    ISP Gateway Address 212.74.102.21
    Primary DNS 212.139.132.11
    Secondary DNS 212.139.132.10
    WAN MAC Address 00-0D-54-FB-28-0B

LAN Settings
    LAN IP address 192.168.1.1
    LAN Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    DHCP Server Enabled
    DHCP Range 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254
    LAN MAC Address 00-0D-54-FB-28-0A

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/792823