1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wired Networking

Discussion in 'Networking' started by deltafee, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. deltafee

deltafee Thread Starter

Hey,
    I am about to wire my house with cat5e, so all the computers gaming devices have Internet activity, I noticed that some rooms I want to have more than one wall connector. The problem is that I don't want to have to run more cable I have to, since all of the things are going to be connected directly to my router. The most ideal circumstance would be to run one cat5 to each room from the router, than have some type of hub. The problem I don't know what to use, it seems like every network device I find require power, and since the wire is going to be in the ceiling and walls it would be very complicated to have a power wire going to the device. i was wondering if a Cat5 splitter would be the best bet since It appears to that the maximum number of outlets per room is two. I was wondering if there a better way of connecting multiple outlets in one room? Thanks

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    While 10/100 Mbps ethernet uses only 4 wires gigabit uses all 8. So splitting the cable is not wise if you think you may want gigabit eventually.

3. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Welcome to TSG!!!

Using a mini-switch (preferable to a hub) in the rooms requiring multiple connections is quite easy, actually. You can run the Cat5e to a jack in the wall, then have the switch in the room, using power in the room.

If you're not averse to running multiple cables to those rooms, you could use a switch alongside your router and run the wiring from there.

Alternatively, you could go wireless ...

4. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I don't know how your cable layout is going to be so I can only make some assumptions.

There is in fact a switch you can use that runs off of PoE (power over Ethernet.) I have one such switch which is a Linksys/Cisco SLM2005. It's a smart managed switch which has 5 GigE ports on it. One of the ports is the PoE port where you can run the switch off of power being sent down the Cat5e cable. The SLM2005 I have is sitting behind my A/V rack in my dedicated A/V room with a single trunk cable feeding two VLANs to it along with power. On the other end, I have a Netgear GS748TP PoE switch feeding power to it and my Netgear WNDAP 350 wireless access point. The SLM2005 is discontinued so you may not be able to find it out there. The SLM2008 ( http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps9994/ps9996/data_sheet_c78-500596.html )is still available and it seems the only difference is the number of ports; 8 versus 5. Personally, I'm glad I have the SLM2005 as I wanted a small switch to co-locate with my A/V equipment. But it's great I have the small switch which I don't have to also worry about plugging in a wall wart brick.

Now the downside to your plan. When you have multiple devices sharing a single connection back to central switch or router, those devices must share the bandwidth of this single connection. So say you have a single GigE uplink to your central switch. You have 2 or 3 PCs connected to the switch sharing this single uplink. Those PCs do some network intensive communications like file transfers with other PCs or network devices that are connected to your central switch. Now you have a situation where for simplicity sake, 3 PCs can utilize GigE resulting in 3 Gb of max bandwidth. But you only have a 1 Gb uplink connection. The result is bandwidth contention. Getting back to your cable plan. If you are in a situation where you can run more than one Cat5e, I would do it. It's better to have more connections than not enough. In my home office, I have 3 Cat5e cable runs. I was using 2 of the Cat5e cable runs as a port channel to gain better bandwidth with a Netgear GS108T switch I have in the office to have 2 Gb of bandwidth. The third Cat5e was used as a phone drop. But I've since changed it over to a VoIP connection running a Cisco 7961 VoIP phone. With the situation in my A/V room, I have two Cat5e drops. One I am using for the obligatory phone connection to my DirecTV HR22 DVR. The other is the network drop which is feeding the SLM2005. Since all the network devices I have running on it are not GigE but 100 Mb, bandwidth over the single GigE connection is not an issue.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971049

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice