1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wired Router-->Wireless Bridge-->Wireless Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jrtayloriv, Nov 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jrtayloriv

jrtayloriv Thread Starter

I am using a Netgear MR814 Cable/DSL Wireless Router to share a DSL connection. I have it upstairs connected to the modem and one computer. Downstairs I have four computers that need to be networked and have access to the connection. I have a D-Link DWL-810+ Wireless Bridge to communicate with the Netgear wireless router upstairs. I want to connect this wireless bridge to a Netgear RT314 Broadband Router. When I plug the Wireless bridge directly into one of my computers' ethernet ports I am able to connect to the internet. If, however, I plug it into the routers "Internet" port, I am unable to communicate with the bridge. Whenever I try to access the wired router's configuration utility(192.168.0.2) it asks for a password lets me access the main menu, but then I lose connection to the setup utility and have to reset the modem to be able to do the same thing again. This last issue only began to occur after I decided to plug the D-Link Bridge directly into my computer.

I realize that this is a rather extensive list of problems but help on any one of them would be great. I also realize that there are other ways to do this with different equipment, but different equipment is not free (The wired router was given to me) So if anyone knows anything that could get these working for me I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    JT

2. coulterp

coulterp

Both the MR814 Cable/DSL Wireless Router and the Netgear RT314 Broadband Router are delivered configured as DCHP servers. You cannot have two DHCP servers on one network.

Another issue is MAC addresses (see
    http://www.arstechnica.com/reviews/01q2/netgear/rt314-1.html, and take a look at the user manual (http://www.netgear-support.com/ts/downloads/rt3guide2.pdf as well).

The RT314 needs to be able to communicate with the NIC from which it wants to steal the MAC address.
    Thus the Netgear RT314 Broadband Router will be wanting to pass up a MAC address to the DSL modem (in order for the modem to communicate with the ISP. But of course the Netgear RT314 Broadband Router is not talking with the modem it is talking with the D-Link DWL-810+ Wireless Bridge which is probably being confused by the conversation!

My first advice is to take the Netgear RT314 Broadband Router out of the equation (you really do not need 2 broadband routers) and try a basic Ethernet 10/100 hub instead and see how it goes from there (the fact that a single PC connects up thru the wireless bridge shows that fundamentally things are working OK).

3. jrtayloriv

I understand that there are other solutions involving different hardware. However, I am very...well....cheap! I don't want to buy another piece of hardware if I don't have to. I cannot return the wired router, because it was given to me without a receipt.
    I have already disabled DHCP on the wired router so I doubt that it is a problem, but I do not know where to go from there. Is there a way to tell my router to look to the bridge for a connection by specifying its IP address instead of the modem's? Or perhaps something I need to do with the bridge?

I am also not clear on your recommendation of the hub over the router. Are you saying that it is simply not possible to do with two routers. Or are you just saying that it will be very difficult? Difficult I can handle, new hardware I cannot. If there is a way to do it and you have a link, or some other source of info where I could figure out how to do it this way, please tell me. And I do appreciate the speedy response.

Thanks,
    JT

4. coulterp

coulterp

I am afraid I have not used any of the 3 items of equipment you list (although I do use a D-link ADSL modem and a Netgear Wireless Router), so I could not say for certain with the items you have (you need to look into the manuals for each which, if you do not have them, you should be able to find on the respective support sites).

But you are trying to use the wired router for a purpose for which it was not designed (it is really expecting to talk to a cable or DSL broadband modem, not an ethernet bridge!).

A cheap basic hub (10 Mbps) can't cost more than $10/20$ (if your State-side, I don't know).

5. jrtayloriv

Didn't realize a hub was so cheap. After buying all this 75-100 dollar equipment, didn't think such a thing was possible. Appreciate the help and I am now leaving to buy a hub.

Thanks,
    JT

6. coulterp

coulterp

Brainwave!
    This may work. I've just noticed your wired router has auto-sensing LAN ports. This may work (no guarantees)!
    Currently you have the wireless bridge plugged into the Internet port of the wirde router.
    Instead plug the wireless bridge into one of the 4 LAN ports of the wired router and then connect your other PCs into the remaining LAN ports.
    If I am understanding the router right then you are by-passing the broadband routing facility and just using the router as a 4-port switch. Might just work!!

7. jrtayloriv

I'll give it a shot. Any special configuration need to be done for the router?

8. jrtayloriv

I am now able to connect to the internet on my windows 98 box through the router. Excellent advice. Now on to the linux box. This should be fun...

Thanks again
    JT

9. coulterp

coulterp

Good news!

In response to ...

No the router should not require any special configuraiton.
    A router by definition links one network (in this case the Internet, WAN side) with one or more other networks (in the case of a broadband router the local network LAN side).

In the case of your MR814 Cable/DSL Wireless Router it is still doing that.
    In the case of the Netgear RT314 Broadband Router you are only using the LAN side; you are using the router as nothing more than a glorified hub or switch (an expensive hub, albeit you got it, in this case, for nothing!). So the only configuration that is required is on the NICs in the PCs connected to the LAN. Assuming those NICs are set to acquire IP address automatically it should fly!

I am not so familar with Linix so good luck with that.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/179976

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice