Wired & Wi-Fi?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

twallin626

I'm wondering if it's possible to have my computer hard-wired but still use wireless for TV.

dmccoy

Darrin
Do you currently have a router that you use for your wifi connection? If so you should be able run an Ethernet from your computer to one of the router ports marked 1-4.

managed

Allan
Yes you can run wired and wireless devices at the same time. Of course the router would have to be capable of doing that, the vast majority can.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Need more information before a yes or no can be given.

Yes, you can have a computer connected to the network wired and wireless. Whether this will work depends. If both interfaces are on the same IP subnet, then no, it will not work. If the wired and wireless NICs are on different IP subnets, then yes, it will work. I do this many times at home when I'm doing some troubleshooting as I have a few subnets on my network.

crjdriver

It is somewhat difficult to tell from the original post however it appears the poster is asking about two different devices; a computer and a TV. If that is the case, then yes you can do the above. In my house, there are four computers connected via rj45 cable, two computers connected using wireless AND two TVs that are connected using wireless.

As mentioned above, you would need a router with both wired and wireless.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online