1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wired & Wi-Fi?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by twallin626, Jul 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. twallin626

twallin626 Thread Starter

I'm wondering if it's possible to have my computer hard-wired but still use wireless for TV.

2. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Do you currently have a router that you use for your wifi connection? If so you should be able run an Ethernet from your computer to one of the router ports marked 1-4.

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Yes you can run wired and wireless devices at the same time. Of course the router would have to be capable of doing that, the vast majority can.

4. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Need more information before a yes or no can be given.

Yes, you can have a computer connected to the network wired and wireless. Whether this will work depends. If both interfaces are on the same IP subnet, then no, it will not work. If the wired and wireless NICs are on different IP subnets, then yes, it will work. I do this many times at home when I'm doing some troubleshooting as I have a few subnets on my network.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is somewhat difficult to tell from the original post however it appears the poster is asking about two different devices; a computer and a TV. If that is the case, then yes you can do the above. In my house, there are four computers connected via rj45 cable, two computers connected using wireless AND two TVs that are connected using wireless.

As mentioned above, you would need a router with both wired and wireless.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1213306

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice