1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wired works, but wireless does not

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Rageguy, Jul 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rageguy

Rageguy Thread Starter

I just got home from my vacation only to find my internet stopped working. I tried a few things like resets and trouble shooting none of this worked so I hooked my laptop to a wired a connection and amazingly it worked. I figured the router had just had some little hic up and was back to working but as soon as I unplugged the cable it went back to not working. Heres all I know my router is a netgear wrn2000 model, my laptop is not the only thing that can not connect through a wireless connection as my ps3 and itouch can not. Also my laptop is not the only thing that can connect through a wired connection as my xbox can too. According to my laptop I have full signal strength but says I have no internet connection, a weird thing is that at one point the wireless did work but really slowly and would drop the connection pretty quickly. If any more info is required for help please post and I will tell you. ANY and all help will be much appreciated as I have been at this for a few hours now.

2. daz1

daz1 Banned

access the router via a browser usually http://192.168.2.1/
    go to restore factory defaults, wait for it to re set, all lights should come on except internet then log back on put your internet password in blarblaraol.com and GTRE$REFD for example, should be ok then

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Netgear default address is usually 192.168.1.1 and a more general statement is that you need to reconfigure the router after resetting it to factory defaults. :)

5. Rageguy

Rageguy Thread Starter

ok I would like to thank you guys for all the info and ideas you have shared with me so far. Right now it seems that my router is back to working but it seems that my router wants to keep disconnecting from the internet.

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

Might help to powercycle everything

Turn off the Modem, router and all pc's . . turn on the Modem and wait a few minutes for the lights to stabilize . . then turn on the router, then one pc at a time. See if you connect ot the internet then

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Did you reset to factory default settings, as daz1 advised?

8. Rageguy

Rageguy Thread Starter

well one final thank you as my router has gone back to its normal speeds and reliability. Im not sure why it decided to start going haywire but if it does something again or I have another tech problem I will be sure to use this website first. PROBLEM SOLVED

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/936408

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice