1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireles Connection Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by raygdw, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raygdw

raygdw Thread Starter

Sorry if this is a long winded question. i will try to be brief.
    I am at present in France staying in a Gite next door to the main house. They have broadband and a wireless router. I can get a week signal in the Gite and that is how I am connecting right now.I am a little restricted as the owner of the house and Gite is on Orange.fr and he is not willing to move his router.
    I therefore connect using my Netgear dongle. In order to get a signal I have a long USB extension cord that attaches the dongle to the laptop. The dongle itself is now in a sealed plastic bottle on the roof of the Gite.
    My laptop is old running Win XP and only has USB 1. I purchased a PCICSM USB 2 card that slots into the laptop and provides 4 USB 2 ports.
    When I connect to the internet via USB 1 it works.
    When I connect via the USB 2 card it disconnects every few minutes. As I say it connects beautifully but keeps disconnecting every 5 to 10 minutes. This does not happen when I connect with USB 1.
    Any suggestions?
    Also any suggestions how I can improve my VOIP quality as using USB1 and a low strength signal from the router I get poor quality.
    Thanks,
    Ray

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Don't bother with the USB 2.0. USB 1.1 will restrict your bandwidth to 12Mbps, but it's highly unlikely that the ISP is providing any where near that kind of service. And with a weak wireless signal you probably wouldn't get that much even if this is some premium service greater than 12Mbps.

With your landlord unwilling to move the router the only choices I can think of are
    a) a hi-gain antenna on the router,
    b) a hi-gain antenna on your end,
    c) Connect a wireless access point (a wireless router can be configured this way) to the router via ethernet and place the AP in a window.

Obviously two of these require landlord cooperation.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Hawking Tech has a number of products that will help you increase your wireless range. The root page is Hawking Hi-Gain™ WiFi Range Extending Products.

Some of the more interesting products are this Hawking [HSB2] Hi-Gain WiFi Signal Booster, which can be used on either end of a wireless connection to boost the signal power.

Another way to increase your signal strength is by the use of hi-gain antennas. You can choose from omni-directional or directional models, here are a some examples.

Hawking [HAI7SIP] Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

Hawking [HAI15SC] Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna

[HAO14SD] Outdoor Hi-Gain 14dBi Directional Antenna Kit

4. raygdw

raygdw Thread Starter

Great.
    Many thanks

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Let us know if/when you try any of these.

6. raygdw

raygdw Thread Starter

OK I have been looking at everything and I need a bit more advice.

The Hawking [HSB2] Hi-Gain WiFi Signal Booster looks great but is rather expensive.

The Hawking [HAI7SIP] Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna is about half the price.

Is the Signal Booster a better option?

Also looking on the net I see loads of Wireless Range Extenders for sale from a wide variety of companies at a wide range of prices.

What is the best solution?

I am only here for 10 weeks so naturally do not want to spend lots unless it is really necessary.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First off, most "range extenders" are really repeaters, and I do NOT recommend those. They take additional configuration, and also reduce bandwidth. I'd start with the hi-gain antennas, and many other companies make them, the Hawking stuff is just an example. I don't know of any other places that make the booster amp, so if you end up needing that, you might have to bite the bullet.

Directional antennas will also help increase range, though obviously only in the direction they're pointed. :)

8. raygdw

raygdw Thread Starter

That is very helpful. Thanks. Looks like I need to bite the bullet. I appreciate the advice.
    Ray

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/651273

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice