1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless access but no internet access

Discussion in 'Networking' started by seven, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. seven

seven Thread Starter

I have installed a wireless network and using a USB wireless adapter I can connect to the network, but no internet access. I can connect to the interent with any other computers around the place but not this one.

Can Windows 2000 have a winsock 2 problem like windows 98?

Thanks

2. 5mi11er

5mi11er

What does ipconfig have to say about the win2k box versus the other computers? I would initially suspect a default gateway issue, then if that wasn't the problem, I'd suspect a DNS issue.

I'm primarily a network guy, not an OS guy, so I don't know the answer to the winsock question.

-Scott

3. natcom

natcom

before you think is a winsock2 problem you have to test many things let me ask you some questions if you dont mind what kind of wireless router do you have? is this computer in the same workgroup as the others and can you ping anything like www.yahoo.com ? or another computer on your network

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Let's see how you're configured.
    Open a DOS window and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL >C:RESULT.TXT

Open C:\RESULT.TXT with Notepad and copy/paste the entire results here.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272077

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice