1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Access Point Connected to Wireless Router??

Discussion in 'Networking' started by redjr, Dec 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. redjr

redjr Thread Starter

I have a D-Link Wireless Router in my basement office that's connected to my cable modem. I also have a D-Link 8-port gigabit switch connected to the wireless router. Over the last few years I have wired many rooms in my house that all connect into the gigaswitch. Everything works fine. I am also using WEP encryption on the wireless router.

I now have the need to extend the wireless capability to an upstairs room, but cannot seem to get a reliable signal that will stay connected. I decided to try and plug an older D-Link Wireless Access point device (DWL-1000AP) into the wired RJ-45 ethernet jack in the room. I went through the 'successful' install of the 1000AP and my wireless devices seem to recognizes it as an access point -along with the wireless router in my basement office. I used WEP encryption again on the 1000AP device - same key.

However, whenever I try to connect to that 1000AP I cannot get connected. It simply will not connect to the 1000AP device which is sitting just a few feet from my wireless device/computer.

Why won't it connect? One possible theory I've thought of is that I have one wireless point (the 1000AP) connected into another wireless point - both using the same WEP encryption and security key value. Is this the probable issue? Is what I'm trying to do, well doable? Or, am I way off base here? Is there another way to do this? :confused:

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Thanks,
    redjr....

BTW, I'm using WinXP Pro SP2.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You should be able to connect. If you configure the access point with no security, does it connect then? That's the way to narrow this down.

Remember, you need to use the hex keys for WEP, not the passcode, since that's not always 100% reliable.

3. redjr

redjr Thread Starter

I'll give that a try. BTW, i did use hex codes.

Thx,

redjr...

4. redjr

redjr Thread Starter

John,

I figured it out. I hadn't configured the 1000AP correctly. I did have to remove the WEP security, but after that it worked fine. Now I'm browsing the net with my PSP! Works slick.

Thanks for your suggestions.

redjr...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/429526

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice