1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless access point Sagem Sky Router >Belkin

Discussion in 'Networking' started by chippyb, Aug 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chippyb

chippyb Thread Starter

Hi,

After a week of trying, its now time to ask for help so am hoping someone on here can give me some advice.

I'm trying to configure a Belkin F7230-4-e router to act as a wireless bridge in order to connect my LCD TV to the home network.

I've read loads of threads and tried to follow the instructions without success.

Current situation is that, by connecting the Sage to the Belkin with an ethernet cable (Lan to Lan port) I can actually access the internet via my laptop connecting to Belkin.

However, as soon as i take the ethernet cable out of the main Sage router, i lose the connection. This tells me there is no wireless connection between the 2 routers.

Current set up:

Belkin is set set up to act as an access point
    Same channel (11) as Sagem
    WEP activated (same as Sagem)

Belkin LAN 192.168.0.254
    Subnet 255.255.255.0

Sagem LAN 192.168.0.1
    Subnet 255.255.255.0
    DHCP 192.168.0.2 - 250

I saw on another thread that one of the router may need to 'poll' the other. I dont know how to do this.

Can anyone help? I know i should probably just go and buy a dedicated access point or one of the plug sets but would really like to do it via the routers if possible.

Thanks in advance

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, you'd have to configure the Belkin as a wireless bridge, not an access point. The sticking point here is when I've tried to use the wireless bridge feature of several Belkin routers, they would ONLY talk to another Belkin router.

You need a wireless bridge, not a WAP if you're buying something.

3. chippyb

chippyb Thread Starter

Dumb question but whats the difference between a bridge and an access point?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A wireless access point (WAP) connects by ethernet to a network and "extends" the network by adding a wireless section.

A wireless bridge connects by wireless to a network and "extends" the network by adding an ethernet section.

When you go searching for a wireless bridge you often have to look at WAPs and see if they have a wireless bridge mode.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Forgot to add that wireless bridge is also called ethernet converter and access point client.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I confess I've never seen a wireless bridge called an Ethernet Converter, that's a new one on me. :D

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I've never seen one in person, but came across the Buffalo site a few years ago when I was looking for a wireless bridge. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/940848

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice