1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Access Point

Discussion in 'Networking' started by nick0219, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nick0219

nick0219 Thread Starter

Okay, This is what happened. The other day i went inside my router's admin thing, by typing the gateway ip address of my computer. i was able to access my admin control panel thing. i was just looking around inside about the speed transfer rate. changed it to 54 mbps so i could watch videos etc on the net, logged out of it then shut my computer. then the next day i try to connect to my wireless internet but it says it connects to the wireless access point but the internet cannot be found ??? so i need to find out what the gateway ip is and how to get my internet back up...

thanks

Nick0219

i don't know why it connects the the wireless access point. my wirless name is there and everything, but it just says internet cannot be found?

2. invalidusername

invalidusername

What was it on before you changed it to 54? Was it on 11? Is your computer capable of 54?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Note that you should never configure wireless router's using a wireless connection for what should be obvious reasons. Connect to the router with a wire and fix the configuration that way.

4. nick0219

nick0219 Thread Starter

Ok yes. I changed it to 54. And my computer is a little crap at home. Its windows 98 SE laptop, 64 MB ram, with an wireless linksys notebook adapter. Are you saying that people can access my wireless but I can’t. if so how do I change it backL

5. nick0219

nick0219 Thread Starter

I read this on the net: 802.11b wireless computer networks provide access speeds at 11 mb/s and 802.11g wireless computer networks provide access speeds at 54 mb/s at optimal bandwidth, however there are signals that interfere with them on their frequency, such as 2.4 GHz cordless phones, Bluetooth wireless devices, other wireless networks and some microwave ovens. These devices, and others that operate on and around 2.4 GHz can cause intermittent wireless network service outages; solving these problems will prove to be difficult. If there is a student who wants to have wireless network access added to their computer, be sure that they are aware of the possible difficulties with interference.

Okay i am dumb. i thought that on my Buffalo Airpoint Router it said that if i increase it to 54 mbps then i could stream stuff or whatever. so...after that it messed it up. i can't even get my gateway ip from ip config? please help. thanks in advance:)

6. JohnWill

You're trying to stream stuff to a W98 computer with 64mb? That's pretty optimistic! :)

If all else fails, you may have to reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure. Try to get connected with no encryption first, then enable the encryption of your choice. Given the laptop, my guess is that's WEP, since I doubt it supports WPA.

7. nick0219

nick0219 Thread Starter

oh yeh, and btw i don't have access to the router;), in other words i have never seen it before in my life. its at my work. i just learned how to get into the admin panel thingi, by typing in the gateway ip address to the computer. is there another way to reset it. also do you think that if i upgrade to windows xp, just for one day, you think i could get my connection back. i once had windows xp installed but i uninstalled because i already installed it on my other pc...thanks for all your replies:)

8. JohnWill

Uhh... we really can't help you with unauthorized access to company network configurations.

9. nick0219

nick0219 Thread Starter

no no i do have authorized access, i just don't know where the router is...

10. nick0219

nick0219 Thread Starter

i can get to it tommorrow. i just have to ask my manager;):)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590916

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice