wireless ad hoc computer to computer network connection query

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rzme0

I hope someone can help with a wireless/router query.

I have a Netgear DG834G wireless router. It works fine but I seem to have created a connection that I can't get rid of. It's a device to device (ad hoc) connection that I created by mistake and it broadcasts itself alongside the normal wireless connection I use for my laptop. There are now two SSIDs being broadcast: “ABCnet” is the one I want my laptop to see. “XYZnet” is the ad hoc network I want to get rid of.

I can't find any reference to it in Network Connections on the desktop that manages the router. The router is broadcasting "XYZnet" as a computer-to-computer network through the SSID to my wireless laptop and other laptops in the area despite the fact that SSID is disabled.

I seem to recall a screen in the router set-up screen about ad hoc and infrastructure options but I can't find it.

I've tried restoring the router to factory defaults but it's still there.

Please forgive my lack of technical knowledge - this is a black art to me!

Any suggestions?

Many thanks.

R

rzme0 said:
I seem to recall a screen in the router set-up screen about ad hoc and infrastructure options but I can't find it.
I've tried restoring the router to factory defaults but it's still there.
Are you sure you are recalling this correctly? I don't have a DG834G but do have a Netgear WGR614 and there is no facility to set ad-hoc or infrastructure mode. As indeed I would not expect there to be - as the routers only operate in infrastructure mode (ad-hoc is for PC-to-PC peer-to-peer connections only).
I assume the set-up you are referring to is actually on the wireless adaptor on the PC, and that is where you need to set to use infrastructure mode.

See Appendix D, Wireless Networking Basics of the dg834g_ref_manual.pdf.

TerryNet

Terry
That ad-hoc signal is coming from a computer, not the router. If it's one of yours, delete the profile (using whatever wireless utility you are using). If it's somebody else's, ignore it. If it's conflicting with your router's channel, change the channel.

rzme0

Thank you for getting back to me on this.

If it's a computer that is generating the signal then it can only be the desktop that is directly attached to the router. The wireless laptop is a new work machine that has only just seen the router for the first time in the last few days.

How would I find the offending source on the desktop. In my network connections I only see a firewire port (1394 connection) and my LAN connection. There is also an Internet Gateway icon.

A bit dazed and confused as usual!

R

TerryNet

Terry
On your laptop you are using a wireless utility to manage your wireless connections; probably the utility that came with the adapter or Windows' Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC). Check the networks (often the definitions are called profiles) you have defined there.

If you have a wireless adapter on your desktop, use the above paragraph again substituting "desktop" for "laptop."

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online