1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless adapter disconnecting and not reconnecting

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by kieret, Nov 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kieret

kieret Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm having a problem with my USB wireless network adapter. I'm not sure whether the operating system is the problem. Basically what happens is the adapter will disconnect every now and again (a few times a week), and I can't reconnect to any network until I disable the adapter and then re-enable it. This isn't just a problem limited to my PC, my laptop does the same thing and my girlfriend's laptop too, and a few other people I've asked who use wireless adapters.

As this seems to be such a common problem, I suppose what I really want is just to know why this happens? Is it limited to Vista and Windows 7 or is it to do with the adapters themselves?

Thanks!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

can we see the following when its connected OK and also repeat all the tests when disconnected - see below
    also lets see what the wireless environment looks like- post back xirrus - see below

is this with your adapter or when connected to your router or just a generic statement - a little more detail would help

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    {run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector} Download and install
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC

http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php
    Direct link to the program is here http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifi_download_redirect.php
    Then run and install the program
    if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

{ipconfig /all}
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here
    We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results here
    -> Start
    -> (XP - enter the following in the RUN box)
    cmd /k ipconfig /all
    -> (Vista or Windows 7 - enter the following in the Search box)
    cmd /k ipconfig /all

A black box will appear on the screen -
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy

then reply here and
    control key + V to paste
    {Ping Tests}
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here

Start> Run {search bar in Vista}> CMD to open a DOS window and type:

Type the following command
    Ping {plus the number thats shown against the default gateway shown in above ipconfig /all}
    Post back the results
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Ping google.com
    Post back the results
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Ping 209.183.226.152
    post back results
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

3. gfne

gfne

I get this problem at home daily. But after 5 minutes, it gets reconnected.

Something on the router is causing a service on it to go into and endless loop (I think,) and then it has to restart the service and get back to functioning as a whole again.

You can upgrading your routers firmware which may alleviate most of the problem. You can even update the adapters driver, do all the necessary windows updates. If those don't fix the problem, continue reading.

An idea that might prove to be true, is that the wireless router is older than your fastest wireless network adapter (when talking about multiple connections.)

You can't keep changing routers every time, but you can make sure that the router is as fast as the fastest wireless adapter (as a test) by buying the wireless adapter that matches the speed of the wireless router.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!