Wireless adapter for desktop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Hbarrera

so I recently got a desktop, a Dell Inspiron 530, and I plugged it up and got everything set up and I come to find out that I can't connect to wifi, there's no network setting for wifi so I need an Ethernet cable to connect to my router which is all the way across on the other side of the house, so my last option is to use a wireless adapter and I have no clue what kind to get nor the specs of what I'm needing, if you could recommend a wireless adapter that works with my desktop that would be great!

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
There are many USB adapters out there and they seem to do well.
Just remember that WiFi is not as fast a wired (Cat5).

TerryNet

Terry
You can get a USB adapter or, if you have a spare slot, a PCI one. Whichever you get make sure you will be able to place the antenna where there is a fairly unobstructed path between antenna and router (or WAP).

802.11n will probably be sufficient for you, but the latest technology is 802.11ac. Make sure the adapter has a driver for your operating system.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I recently got a desktop, a Dell Inspiron 530
What's the exact "service tag" number and/or "express service code" number on that desktop?
What Windows version(XP, Vista, 7, 8.1, 10) and bit number(32, 64) is it running?

That desktop has 8 - USB 2.0 ports(4 front, 4 rear) and its motherboard has 2 - PCI slots and 1 PCI Express x1 slot.
Depending on whether you want an external or an internal wireless adapter, you have plenty of options as to what type to get.

By the way, does your router have wireless capability?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online