1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless adapter frequently loses internet connection.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by brear, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brear

brear Thread Starter

Sorry i am new to this so i hope i am doing this post correctly. One of my 3 computers is having frequent drops (every few minutes) of connection to the internet even though it is still wirelessly connected to the routerand the connection is very good. No other computer has this problem. I have changed from a PCI wireless card to a USB adapter but still the same problem. If i bring the laptop to the computer the laptop does not have the problem so that seems to rule out interference.
    I have used both the adapter software and XP to connect.
    How can i remedy this. The computer is using XP SP3.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

How do you know it's still connected to the router? What do you do when it loses the connection to restore it?

When it's "disconnected", please do this.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

3. JohnWill

PS: I've removed your duplicate post in the other thread, please stick to your own thread for your issue.

4. brear

brear Thread Starter

Thank you

I will do that later.

The adapter software says its connected, so does the wireless icon in the system tray. I can log into the router but at the same time i cannot view any web pages. In the logged on router, i can ping other computers on my network.

i thought it was my wireless adapter but i have changed that. XP on the hardware devices say it is working properly.

Thank you

5. brear

brear Thread Starter

Just to add. When i lose the ability to surf the net (ie cant find web page) it will after a few minutes allow me to surf the net again. Then after a few minutes lose it again and so on.
    All the time there is no indication that there is a lack of connection between the computer and the router.
    No other computer has this problem.

Thank you.

6. xtwistedx

xtwistedx

me and my brother-in-law have a similar problem, possibly related to the same issue

last night we recently got our wireless to keep a decent, steady, very good, 11Mbps connection between us

transfers are sitting at about 250-300 kbps average
    after a few moments, w/o losing the connection the transfer speed will stop or drop to like 1-13kbps

if he opens i.e., windows explorer, ect the speed will most of the time jump right back to the 250-300kbps

edit: we have tried to ping one of the other pcs on the network to see if it would "jumpstart" the connection but it didnt, but just to add it did ping another pc so it is staying connected

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest driver for the wireless adapter, and make sure you do not have multiple wireless utilities running at the same time.

8. brear

brear Thread Starter

Please find enclosed what you asked for.

Please can you also clarify what you meant by having more than 1 wireless connections.

Thank you

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : family
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Compatable Fast Ethernet Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-19-66-14-B9-4E
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.102
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 62.30.0.39
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 30 September 2008 20:24:36
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 01 October 2008 20:24:36

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 9:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR WG111v3 54Mbps Wireless USB
    2.0 Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-2A-B3-CA-3E
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.6
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 30 September 2008 20:27:50
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 01 October 2008 20:27:50

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Your ethernet and wireless are connected to two different routers and both connections are specifying different Gateways. Please explain your setup and what you are trying to accomplish with the two routers.

10. JohnWill

If you don't have two routers, you're probably connected to a neighbor's wireless and not your own, which could also explain why you're confused. :)

11. brear

brear Thread Starter

I have a linksys router that i am connected by ethernet to quickly transfer files but i connect to the internet wireless via a netgear adsl router.

Do you think i should temporarily disconnect the ethernet even though there was a point where i never had a wireless problem?

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    On the ethernet connection set a manual IP address and mask. Leave the Gateway and DNS servers blank.

I think you asked a little earlier what I meant by "do not have multiple wireless utilities running at the same time." I did NOT mean multiple wireless connections. Windows XP includes a wireless utility (WZC), most wireless adapters come with a utility to manage connections (e.g., Intel Proset) and some laptop manufacturers also supply a utility (e.g., Dell WLAN). If more than one is running they fight for control and often cause disconnects or inability to connect at all.

13. brear

brear Thread Starter

I have double clicked on wireless icon on the system tray and says "windows cannot configure this wireless connection" so i think i have only the netgear software running.

I have taken the ethernet connection out from my other router. So far i dont seem to have had a dropped connection but i will use it for tonight to ensure it is not just a coincidence. If all does well i can solve this thread tomorrow.

Thank you.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754758

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice