1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Adapter Installation Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by LPrime, Jul 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LPrime

LPrime Thread Starter

Hey there. I originally posted this over in the Windows NT/2000/XP forum, because I thought it might be a problem with Windows XP, but I suppose it might just as easily be a problem with my wireless adapter or my wireless gateway. You can see the other thread HERE.

I've got a AcionTec 54 Mbps Wireless DSL Gateway that I want to use with a D-Link AirPlus G DWL-G122 Wireless Adapter, but I've hit a major snag with it. When I get to the point in the instructions after installing the drivers, restarting the computer, etc., it says that I should plug in the wirelss adapter next, and that Windows would launch a New Hardware Wizard, thus leading me to follow a couple of additional steps to complete the installation.

Instead, after I plug in the device, I just get a little bubble down by the system tray saying that new hardware had been dectected, and then after moment, that little bubble is replaced by a new one stating that the new hardware had been successfully installed.

The next step, according to the instructions (and here's where I hit the big problem), is to click on the XP Networking Icon in the system tray, but there is no XP Networking Icon, and I can't get it to appear. There's also a new shortcut on my desktop called "D-Link AirPlus Utility," but when I try double-clicking it, nothing happens.

Please help me! I really need to get my computer to work with the wireless adapter for work, and I don't know what to do. Thank you in advance!

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

You can do the same thing by going to start/control panel/Network and internet connnections/network connections and picking the wireless connection device.

Be careful here if you running Windows XP SP2 then you may be running WZC which is windows management of the wireless adapter. You can have either WZC running or the MFGRs sotware running but NOT both. I usually disable the MGRs and go with WZC so this way I can tell everyone the same instructions rather than remembering multiple mfgrs interfaces.

3. LPrime

LPrime Thread Starter

When I go to the Network Connections folder in the control panel, it's empty, even though the wireless adapter is plugged it. Yet, when I go to the device manager and look at the wireless adapter, it says, "This device is working properly."

Also, I'm not sure if I'm running SP2. I remember I installed it a while back, but it gave my computer so many problems, I think I may have uninstalled it or something. But I'm not sure since it was so long ago. Is there a quick way I can check? The instructions mention that when I'm supposedly able to click the XP Networking Icon, it will let me use the "Zero Configuration Wireless Settings," so is that what you mean by "WZC"? If so, does that mean that I need to be running SP2 to make this work? And if not, then how would I go about disabling the MGRs to use the WZC instead like you said?

Sorry if I'm just coming back with even more questions, but I do really, really appreciate your help so far!

4. LPrime

LPrime Thread Starter

bump? Please?

5. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Strange usually if you have the device in the devie manager than you will have it in the network connections. Does this happen even upon reinstall of the drivers?

Yes right click My Computer and pick properties in there it hsould tell you under general tab in the System section.

Yes WZC is windows internal configuration utility.

With running WZC yes you do have to have SP2 installed.

The mfgrs software usually comes in and loads on startup and has something showing in the system tray you have to remove their software from the startup group (or uninstall it but remember NOT to uninstall the card drivers).

No problem we will try and help get to the bottom of it. Even if delayed by work.

6. LPrime

LPrime Thread Starter

Thanks again for the reply. Because of the problems with the wireless adapter, I was unfortunately left without access to the internet for most of the weekend, so I'm just now able to finally get back to this. Thanks for your patience!

Yes, still the same after reinstalling the drivers. Incidentally, when I go to the task manager, under the "networking" tab, it lists the wireless adapter as "Non Operational."

Okay, I checked it, and it says I am running SP2.

When I check the Startup tab in the System Configuration Utility, "mfgrs" isn't listed as a Startup Item. Is that a problem?

Thanks! Also, here's some more info from the Device Manager just in case any of this helps. Under "Network adapters" it lists both my wireless adapter (D-Link AirPlus G DWL-G122 Wireless USB Adapter (rev.B)) and something called "1394 Net Adapter," which I'm not really sure what is, but it's driver provider is listed as Microsoft, and it's driver date is 7/1/2001, so I'm assuming it's something fairly standard.

Both of those are listed as "working properly," but under "Other devices," there are two items with the yellow question mark icon. They are: ATM Network Controller, and Multimedia Audio Controller. Someone I was talking to said that the ATM Network Controller might be part of the problem, but I don't know what to do about it.

When I check the properties menu for the ATM Network Controller, it lists the Manufacturer as "Unknown," and the Driver status says, "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)" but when I try to reinstall the drivers via the Hardware Update Wizard, it isn't able to find the correct drivers.

I don't know if any of that last stuff is actually related to my problem, but I figured that it couldn't hurt to mention it just in case. So, any other thoughts and/or suggestions?

7. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

mfgrs is a shortened term for manufacturers this varies per company and i can't give specifics as I don't keeup up with every brand hardware and what it all installs. You should be looking for D-Link software though.

Forget about the 1394 this is for your firewire and for firewire networking. Its never going to be used so just disavow all knowledge of it.

This one has me intrigued... You say you setup is this gateway device then nothing connected to the PC and its wireless? I noticed it says the gateway has a USB 1.1 is it perchance something you plugged the gateway in via USB?

If you have it plugged in via USB I would recommend taking it off USB and see if this second one disappears.

The only reason I ask is this - http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=329490&pfp=BROWSE#ts

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483180

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice