1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless adapter keeps disappearing....

Discussion in 'Networking' started by scspur, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scspur

scspur Thread Starter

running Atheros wireless adapter on Toshiba Satellite Notebook. It will be connected and running fine, then suddenly it looses connection. I try to enable the adapter to no avail. I then reboot and the adapter does not show up anywhere (hardware list, under network controls, drivers). If I shut it down rather than reboot I am able to enable the adapter again. If I only restart it will not (I have tried it 50+ times) be shown in hardware or anywhere else. I have to actually shut it down and start up again. This was happening once every couple of weeks, but now it has happened several days in a row. Any ideas????
    Thanks

2. vicks

vicks

Welcome to the TSG forums!!
    I was having a similar problem with my 5 month old Dell recently. Updating the drivers for it seems to have taken care of the problem.
    Hope this suggestion is of help to you.
    Vicks

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

I understand you to say that the adapter disappears from Network Adapters and there are no warnings or errors in Device Manager. If correct, then if you can easily reach the card by removing a cover on the bottom of the notebook remove the card and reinsert it carefully and firmly 3 or 4 times. This should take care of any looseness or corrosion of the contacts.

The notebook should be unplugged with the battery removed for this operation.

4. scspur

scspur Thread Starter

hasn't been a connection issue with the actual adapter inside. I have updated driver again ...maybe that will help.

Thanks for the info

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976480