1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wireless adapter loses connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by skatanic, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skatanic

skatanic Thread Starter

Ok so this has been happening for years, I just never wanted to buy a new one and test it out to see what the issue is but here it goes.

I have a D-link wireless adapter model WUA-2340. I use it to connect to the internet on my desktop. Running windows 7 x64. although it did this back when I had xp on here as well.

Sometimes it will be random but most of the times its when I'm downloading large files that take time to finish. So it'll be running between 1mb-3mbps download speed. Then randomly my connection will be lost, and the downloads will pause, even though my wireless adapter still has its blinking orange light as if its connected. My computers lil wireless logo in the tray will stay on as well until a certain point where it finally realizes that there is no connection and then the adapter will also have no light.

What is the issue here and is there any fix from anyone who has experienced the same issue...is it my adapter or what?

Thanks for any responses!

Here is my TSG Sysinfo
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 4093 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, 512 Mb (Dual, SLI)
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 152578 MB, Free - 46373 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0YU822
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Meaning that it has no power? Do you also get the "USB device has disconnected" sound?

3. skatanic

skatanic Thread Starter

i don't think it loses power...i do not hear the usb device disconnected sound either. it simply stops blinking whenever it isn't connected to a network.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Let's check for signal strength and possible interference ...

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector.

5. skatanic

skatanic Thread Starter

Here it is. signal isn't terribly strong because it goes through 2 walls. but it only loses connection when i'm downloading big files fast.

Attached Files:

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're right; the signal is not strong enough for a reliable connection.

Possible (not guaranteed) fixes include better antenna on router and/or adapter, reposition router and/or adapter, or an 'N' router.

7. skatanic

skatanic Thread Starter

But why would it work fine all day long with no interruptions until I start downloading something at high speeds?

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't know; there may be problems other than the insufficiently strong signal. My guess is that you are losing packets all day long, but they are resent fast enough that you do not notice. But when the load goes up the number of bad or missing packets overwhelms the network. I suppose you could monitor your network at the packet level to see if this is true. It would be easier to move the computer to get a strong signal and then test to see if your downloads go smoothly or if there are still issues. That test would tell you whether you need to find some other cause in the computer or whether you need to work on the signal strength.

9. skatanic

skatanic Thread Starter

I'll have to try somethings out and see how it goes. Thanks for all the info.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029401

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice