Wireless adapter problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ConfuciusSays

Recently my computer has been have some issues with freezing up and I isolated the problem to the system control manager looping errors and eventually freezing my subpar laptop. So I did some research and decided to uninstall my wireless adapter drivers. Shortly after that my computer couldn't pick up any broadcasts even with updating my drivers. So I didn't have anything I cared about memory wise on my laptop so I wiped in clean. And installed windows 7 fresh. The problem still occurs and im unsure what to do next.

managed

Allan
So it's still freezing up ? Does the wireless work now ? What make and model laptop is it ?

ConfuciusSays

No the freezing part is fix I'm assuming it was just registry errors and it needed a wipe anyways so I did. It's a ASUS G72G Mod: G72GX. My wireless adapter is Atheros AR928X everything is stock

managed

Allan
Ok, please install this first :- http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb...e/Wireless_Console_3_WIN7_32_WIN7_64_3011.zip
Unzip it then run setup.exe

Then if you have Windows 7 64 bit click this link to download the wireless driver :- http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/WLAN/WLAN_AW-NE785_PNP_Win7_64_800238.zip

If it's 32 bit get this one :- http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/WLAN/WLAN_AW-NE785_PNP_Win7_32_800238.zip

Unzip it then run the PNPINIT(64) exe file and it should install the wireless driver for you.

ConfuciusSays

Do i have to restart or no? Im updating my nividia drivers right now. I ran the first part do I have to restart to then install the drivers for 64?

managed

Allan
When the Graphics drivers are installed I would restart then even if it doesn't tell you to, it can do no harm.

managed

Allan
Is the wireless network card in Device Manager and working properly ?

You may have to enter your wireless password before it will connect.

ConfuciusSays

Yeah it says that the device is running properly in the manager, and I believe it is. I think it's a software problem with the switch if that's a thing? Nothing happens when I hit it and nothing happens when I use FN and the wifi icon

managed

Allan
Are you saying there is a physical switch for wireless ?

Do you get a wireless icon near the clock ? If yes what does it look like ?

Do you have a wireless password set up ?

ConfuciusSays

Yeah I have a switch on the side that doesn't do anything in either position. It's the 4bars with an X though it. I do have a password set up, but it's not discovering any networks

managed

Allan
I see, it doesn't go far enough to need the password.

If you have any other wireless devices do they connect to the router ok ?

managed

Allan
If there are no 'Unknown Devices' or ? or ! characters next to anything in Device Manager it's possible the internal wireless card has failed. Easiest solution would be to get a Usb wireless dongle.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online