1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless adapter seems too slow...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by erick295, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. erick295

erick295 Thread Starter

I have a Linksys 802.11g PCI adapter on my desktop, an internal 802.11g adapter on a Dell laptop, and a Linksys 802.11g router. I've been playing with the speed test on dslreports.com. I can't get any better than a 4 Mbps download speed on my desktop, while the laptop gets 12 Mbps every time, which is also what I get when I plug it in directly. I would think the desktop should be the same, or even better since it has an external antenna.

Why would the desktop adapter be so much slower? The signal strength indicator is at the highest possible level. I've even put the desktop and the router right on top of each other, and I still can't get any higher than 4 Mbps. I even tried putting foil between the antenna and the computer, thinking there might be some interference or something. Nothing has worked.

Any ideas..?

2. erick295

erick295 Thread Starter

By the way, I don't have firewalls or antivirus software or anything like that interfering with it.

3. reezin14

reezin14

Have you looked into updating the drivers for the desktops card ?Sometimes it can work wonders.What is the rate from your ISP ?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There is wide variability with different wireless NIC's.

I have a ZyXEL WAP that I can connect an older Dell desktop to my network and get a full 15mbit/2mbit Internet speed test to. My brand new HP multi-media laptop can only manage around 6mbit/sec wirelessly connected, the same as my older Averatec laptop. Wired connections from any of these machines go at the full speed.

Seems like it's the nature of the beast.

5. erick295

erick295 Thread Starter

I do have the latest driver, yes.

JohnWill, I guess you might be right, but it seems pretty strange that it would be limited to less than a tenth of its rated speed. If it were a cheap adapter I'd be more likely to believe it, but I wouldn't think Linksys would make anything that dumpy.

6. erick295

erick295 Thread Starter

No ideas? I was thinking there might be a setting or something somewhere that might be causing this.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I don't know of any settings that would do that. My suggestion would be to try the computer at a different location, perhaps a friend's house. That would at least eliminate the router as a suspect. Also, maybe the Linksys tech support could shed some light on it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646656

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice