1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Adapter stopped working, attempted to install drivers and now... BSOD

Discussion in 'Networking' started by trickydotau, Jun 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trickydotau

trickydotau Thread Starter

Hi
    I'm running Windows 7 64bit on a new Asus N61v laptop with Atheros networking card. Everything was working fine but lately I've had some problems with the wireless network dropping out. Today my wireless stopped working entirely. I logged on to the quick browser profile I had and the wireless worked fine, but whenever I switched back to my main administrator account the wireless adapter wouldn't enable and kept saying no wireless networks available. The switch on the side did nothing at all, nor did enabling it via networking or the keyboard hotkey. After a while bluetooth stopped working too. I could connect to my router via ethernet cable, and went into device manager to update my drivers. I selected my network card and checked for driver updates via windows. It didn't work. So someone suggested I try system restore. I restored my laptop to June 2nd. It didn't fix the wireless adapter. I went back to device manager to reinstall drivers but I accidently hit "driver rollback", that's when my computer restarted and the BSOD appeared. Now I can only avoid the BSOD by restarting in safe mode WITHOUT networking.

Here's the BSOD

[top of screen cut off]
    to your computer.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safew Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:
    *** STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x0000000000000002,0x000000000000000,0xFFFFF880016F25D6)

*** ndis.sys - Address FFFFF880016F25D6 base at FFFFF880016C4000, DateStamp 4a5bc184

Collecting data for crash dump ...
    Initializing disk for crash dump ...
    Beginning dump of physical memory.
    Dumping physical memory to disk: 100
    Physical memory dump complete.
    Contact your system admin or technical support group for further assistance

This is just in time to completely ruin my end of semester uni exams, and I've already wasted many hours on this problem instead of doing an essay due tomorrow morning! Can't afford to replace my laptop. I'd really appreciate any help

Cheers

2. trickydotau

Ah, where's a BSOD expert when a gal needs one? =(

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The fact that another user profile works and the admin one is crashing suggests a corrupted profile. I'd create a new profile, move any data required to the new profile, then nuke the failing one.

4. trickydotau

Hi, thanks for the reply. I wasn't very clear when I mentioned the browser profile, what it is is some Asus software package called Asus Gateway Express, it doesn't actually load the OS just facilitates web browsing. Every time I load the OS it crashes.

5. JohnWill

Why not use Windows wireless client and forget about the Asus client?

6. trickydotau

I don't use the Asus client usually, you can't access files/programs through it. It's just like an internet kiosk thing that came with the laptop. Speaking of, I just fired it up to create a new profile and now I've got a black screen with

Checking file system on C:
    The type of the file system is NTFS
    Volume label is OS

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You may cancel the disk check but it is strongly recommended that you continue.
    Windows will now check the disk.

CMDISK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
    File record segment 11904 is unreadable
    [it goes on like this until 11907]
    0 per cent complete. (12725 of 190208 file records processed)

it just keeps getting worse =( My HD is 500gb partitioned between 130gb OS and the rest DATA.

7. trickydotau

Update: The BSOD is now happening before reaching windows login, and it's different

The checkdisk scan finished having resolved all the bad files.. but now the BSOD is happening before windows login. The error message has also changed.
    *** STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x0000000000000010, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000, 0xFFFFF880017145D6)

*** ndis.sys - Address FFFFF880017145D6 base at FFFFF880016E6000, DateStamp 4a5bc184

8. JohnWill

You have more serious corruptions issues at this point. Try running an SFC repair first.

Type SFC /SCANNOW in the search box on the start menu.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/926903

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice