1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless adaptor cannot find networks, but shows signal levels in wireless utility

Discussion in 'Networking' started by elizbeth, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. elizbeth

elizbeth Thread Starter

Hi All,

Here at work we recently had an access point installed for customer access to the internet. We have had no problems with anyone access the network until today. I am not that knowledgeable with wireless so please forgive me if I fail to give you what you need to help.

Installed:
    D-Link DWL-G700AP Wireless Access point

normally customer just click on connect to networks and their adapter finds the many wireless networks in our area (about 8). They choose our network and type in the network key and they are connected.

We have a customer in this morning (now) that cannot connect.
    Here is what I have found:

If you click on the wireless icon, choose connect to any network. You get: "Cannot find any network."

I then setup a connection manually; still does not find networks.

Here is the weird part: If you go into the Control Panel, choose Wireless Config Utility; Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility, Choose site monitor site. It shows a list of the wireless networks and there signal strength. So the wireless adapter is receiving the wireless signals, but will not connect or show them in the list of wireless networks.

I would really appreciate help in figuring out what is keeping this computer from connecting.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't understand "It shows a list of the wireless networks" in the same paragraph with "will not ... show them in the list."

3. elizbeth

elizbeth Thread Starter

If you click on the wireless icon in the task bar in the lower right-hand corner of the desktop choose connect to any network. You get: "Cannot find any network."

But, If you go into the Control Panel, choose Wireless Configuration Utility; Dell's Wireless WLAN Card Utility, Choose the "site monito" tab. It shows a list of the wireless networks available and there signal strength. Our network is showing an excellent signal strength. So the wireless adapter/modem is receiving the wireless signals from our network and 8 or 10 more in the area. I checked the device manager and the device is working properly.

But the computer does not recognize/show/list these wireless networks in the window where you specify which network it should connect to. You get: "Cannot find any network."

I hope this helps explain the issue.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sounds like you have multiple wireless utilities running--XP's WZC and Dell's WLAN. Dell's WLAN works fine on my neighbor's PC. Try shutting down WZC and connecting with Dell WLAN. If that doesn't work, re-enable WZC and shut down Dell WLAN.

To shut down WZC: Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services - change "Wireless Zero Configuration" Startup Type to 'disabled' and Stop it.

I chose to assume Windows XP SP2 or SP3.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755767

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice