1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wireless adhoc network drops connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dexuk, Dec 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dexuk

dexuk Thread Starter

Hi guys im new to this site and was recommended by a friend. I have spent the last 2 days looking through old posts before finally registering to ask for help, so here goes:

I have a home network with 2 PC's both running windows XP.
    They are networked via 2 USB 802.11b wireles cards. The network is set up as an Adhoc network with file,printer and internet sharing running. I set up the network using the windows network set up wizard.
    The main PC with internet connection is connected to blueyonder 1MB cable service via an external USB modem.

The network works great with an "excellent" signal strength at all times (upstairs to dowstairs). But...

Every now and again the remote PC will drop the connection. It seems totally random as it could be after 10 minutes or after 1 hour, Its very random. To reconnect i just disable then re-enable the network card (on remote PC) it connects instantly and all is well again, untill it decides to do this again. Does anyone have any suggestions to what could be causing this? It is not a huge problem but is iritable. It even happens when network/internet is in use. But may still be some type of power managment issue. But my hands are in the air and im open to all sugestions.

Thanks in advance for anyone who tries to help me out.

2. coulterp

coulterp

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/189693

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice