Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wireless AdHoc Not Working

767 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
Laptop 1 is Dell PIII with Win2K SP3 and a Linksys USB adapter. Static address 192.168.0.2 I have, in the past, used this config (using dhcp) to connect to a WiFi spot for internet access.

Laptop 2 is a CompaqAthlon 64 with XP home SP1 and builtin broadcom adapter. Static address 192.168.0.1 I have, in the past, used this config (using dhcp) to connect to an airport WiFi spot.

I am only concerned (now) with peer to peer resource sharing, not internet access, so I have configured static addresses. For grins, IPX is also loaded, but it makes no difference whether it is there or not.

Sygate firewalls are turned off. Signal strength is 100% (they are next to each other on the same table). WEP passphrase is identical.

Under View Workgroup Computers, only one laptop appears (itself) - on each box. Workgroups are identical and login ids are current and identical. I have connected these two by wire previously.

There is an element of wireless awareness. If I use the button switch to turn off wireless (hardware) on one box, the other laptop's status switches to 'cable unplugged'. Power back up, and it shows enabled. The intriguing part is that the General tab of the taskbar connection icon on BOTH boxes for the network connection show packets being sent, but none being received. Connection has been up for over 12 hours. Also, a ping from one box to the other always fails on a time out.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
My thanks . . . I would have sworn I had tried it without WEP . . . but that was probably oh so many iterations ago. I did connect with NO WEP, but any WEP enable form invariably fails.

In the absence of WEP, I tried turning the Sygate Firewall back on (normal), and the connection again failed. No workgroup computers visible, though all tasks were set to allow or ask. No 'permission to connect' questions ever appeared. Only 'allow all' works.

Thanks again for the guidance . . . at least I can get to the files needed . . . any light you can shed on the other matters will be appreciated.

#4 ·
If you can connect with WEP disabled, but fail with it enabled, you probably are not getting the correct keys for both ends. You can't use the alpha hash, but you must enter the 26 character hex key for each side. Also, make sure that the key is correctly entered, triple check. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.