1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless and Broadband

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Brian Fowler, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Brian Fowler

Brian Fowler Thread Starter

I am considering buying a Broadband wireless adaptor

I have a Dell Laptop & A new PC on order
    I have broad band and use a Netopia modem

What do I need to go wireless?
    Any idea of the problems I might encounter?
    Will it work in different rooms?

Brian
    Dublin

2. Enstygator

Enstygator

You will need a wireless router and wireless cards on both computers to share Internet access. If you're new to wireless networking, I suggest you buy either a Linksys or SMC brand of router, as they're pretty easy to configure, and the same on the wireless ethernet cards. Most likely, you're new laptop will already have a built in wireless g card, so you probably don't need one for the laptop. As for the desktop, you can either get a pci wireless ethernet card, or a USB card. The difference in the two will be the speed of file transfer for file sharing. I'll come back later and add more info as time allows. Yes, you should be able to access the Internet in different rooms with no problems. There are a few things that might affect it, but with the newer routers and cards, it's usually really minor stuff. Compared to hard wired systems, the wireless is pretty close as to speed for Internet usage. For file transfers across a local network, there's where you'll find the speed difference, but it's still fast enough. I wired my home several years ago with cat5 wire. I now have everything wireless so my wife can rearrange the furniture as she pleases, and I still have broadband Internet. I'm very happy with the wireless.

3. Enstygator

Enstygator

Here's a tutorial to read on setting up your wireless network. You can also search on Google for more reading material regarding setting up a wireless network. Click on the link below:

Wireless Networking

4. Enstygator

Enstygator

You can shop around to find the best prices on what you need. Linksys brand wi-Fi components are pretty much available anywhere you shop. If you want the cheapest, go with the Wireless "B". Wireless "G" is the newer technology, and more easier to find. Here's a link to what a wireless router looks like:

Wireless routers

Here's a link to a pci or USB wireless ethernet card for your desktop pc:

Wireless adaptors

Check with the manufacturers specs on your new Dell laptop. I'm almost certain that it's a standard component added to all new Dell laptops to have a built in wireless ethernet adaptor. Just in case, here's what you need for the laptop if it doesn't include one:

PCMCIA Wireless ethernet cards

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275778

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice